Linx 1020 tablet will not work after Windows Update

Yesterday evening I updated my Linx 1020 tablet via Windows Update.  Three updates were downloaded and installed, which I have listed below.   (N.B. for the benefit of Microsoft Support my Link 1020 came pre-installed with Windows 10 and is still under manufacturer's warranty)

1) Update for Windows Defender

2) Cumulative Update for Windows 10

3) Insyde Firmware update  (this required a restart)

After Windows downloaded and installed the updates I was required to restart so I opted to update and reboot.  My Linx 1020 shut down normally and the Linx logo display as it started to reboot.  However, after this point the screen remained black and no matter what I tried I could not start my tablet.  The orange power light also does not display when on mains power.  Prior to shut down my Linx 1020 was 97% charged and on mains power.

Since yesterday I have tried repeatedly to boot my Linx 1020 to no avail.  To all intents and purposes my Linx 1020 is dead and it is my belief that one or more of the Windows updates is responsible for this rather than a fault with my Linx 1020.  The most probable culprit is the Insyde Firmware update as this required the restart.

I have read on the LinxTablet.co.uk forum that other Linx tablet owners have experienced a similar issue after performing a Windows Update.

I am waiting for a reply from Exertis (Linx support) regarding this issue but as the evidence clearly points towards an issue with Windows Update I would be grateful for a response from Microsoft Support, setting out how Microsoft intends to help Linx owners resolve this issue.

To reiterate: my Linx 1020 tablet is dead and cannot boot due to a fault with Windows Update!!

Moved from: Windows /Windows 10 /Power on or off a device /PC

Question Info

Last updated July 18, 2019 Views 8,615 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Marc,

Let's get your tablet working again.

Since you've mentioned that your tablet only displays a blank screen whenever you try to boot and doesn't show you the Recovery Environment, let's get you to the Recovery Environment to be able to perform an Automatic Repair.

First, you will need to have an installation media to boot into the Windows Startup Settings. You can create a Windows 10 Installation Media by following the steps found on this link.

Once you already have the installation media, boot your tablet with the installation media, click Next on the Windows Setup, then choose Repair your computer.

Let us know what happens after the above mentioned steps as well as an update from your tablet's support.

Regards.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Unfortunately my tablet will not even power up so somehow creating a USB recovery media would make no difference.  I have tried using the USB recovery media I created for my laptop to see if that would at least boot but nothing happens.  My tablet is quite literally dead!

I have also checked the power cable and that is working fine.

Thanks again.

Marc

Sorry this didn't help.

my Linx 1020 is exactly the same, it's now totally dead. what a joke.thanks Microsoft. 

58 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft seriously needs to sort this!

If your Linx 1020 tablet is still within the twelve-month warranty period I strongly recommend you take it back to the retailer.  I took mine back to Argos today and they replaced it with a new one no quibbles, even though I have had my tablet for seven months.

I should add that Exertis (Link Support) are not exactly helpful with resolving this issue, although they do seem to be aware there is an issue.

Good luck.

Kind Regards,

Marc

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE - 4th May 2017

This afternoon Argos kindly exchanged my damaged Linx 1020 for a brand new Linx 1020.

After completing the setting up of my new Linx 1020 tablet, Windows downloaded and installed the following updates which again required a restart to complete the update:-

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1607 (KB4015217) This failed to install

Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 version 1607 (KB4018483)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2017 (KB3890830)

Update for Windows 10 version 1607 (KB4013418)

Feature On Demand Dot Net 35 - Windows 10 version 1607 for x86-based system (KB3180030)

I had very little choice but to Update and Shut down or Update and Restart so I again chose the latter.

Unbelievably my brand new Linx 1020 Windows 10 tablet developed exactly the same fault as my old tablet and now will not even power up like it's predecessor.  I have, of course, been in contact with Exertis (Linx Support) regarding this matter and evidently they have been inundated with calls from Linx tablet owners who are experiencing this issue, although they continue to offer few practical solutions beyond rehashing advice given regarding an issue with the Creator's Update.

The silence from Microsoft on this matter is deafening whilst the number of Linx tablet owners who now have defunct tablets following installation of a Windows Update has grown considerably over the past few days.

Indeed, one wonders how many damaged Linx tablets does it take for Microsoft to start addressing this problem?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue and it happened after windows update and my new linx 1020 is not booting up, is there a resolution from microsoft  ?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue and it happened after windows update and my new linx 1020 is not booting up, is there a resolution from microsoft ?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

As far as I am aware no official fix has been announced by Microsoft.

However, I heard from a Linx 1020 owner this morning that a compatibility fix may now be included in the latest Windows Update.

Unfortunately for those of us that have already been affected by this issue it is very much a case of being too little too late.

I have left my Linx 1020 unplugged for 18 hours and I have just followed the advice from Exertis (Linx Support) about doing a soft reset and my tablet will simply not even power up.  It is dead as a Dodo!

I rather fear you may well have to return you Linx 1020 to the retailer for an exchange or refund; as I shall be doing shortly for the second time in two days!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Guys,

I had a very helpful and constructive phone call from Linx Support earlier today.

Obviously Linx are aware of the issues we have been experiencing and confirmed to me that it is the Microsoft Update that is the cause.  Also at present it is thought that this issue only affects Linx 1020 tablets.

The advice from Linx Support is to set how updates are delivered to metered connections until such time as a Microsoft fix is confirmed.

Argos have again kindly exchanged my tablet for a new Linx 1020 and this time I am taking no chances.

Unfortunately for Linx 1020 owners who have already been affected by the Microsoft Update issue the only option is to take it back to the retailer for an exchange or refund.

Kind Regards,

Marc

Sorry this didn't help.

I had exactly the same issue my 3 week old linx 1020 downloaded and installed the updates you stated and it will not boot, charge or do anything. i took it back to argos who replaced it with a new one and i had the same issue within one day, now i have another 1 day old tablet dead. It was the same updates that caused the problem. I will be back to argos in the morning and get a refund and buy a new one (not a linx). This is a crazy situation and linx and microsoft are too slow at addressing the problem..good luck with yours guys.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.