error in windows 10 unexpected kernel mode trap

Hi!

Need help in error for windows 10 unexpected kernel mode trap, it keeps coming and can't find any best solution.

Thanks!

zwap

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2020 Views 265,489 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up.

If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then get updated drivers software for that particular device

Method 2: Safe mode

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs or not. Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed. Follow the article below to boot the computer to safe mode.

Refer the article to boot to Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Method 3: Run Memory Diagnostics

I suggest you to run Windows Memory Diagnostics utility. Windows 8.1 includes built-in features to help you identify and diagnose problems with memory. Refer to the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R on the Keyboard.
  2. Type mdsched.exe in the Search box, and then press Enter.
  3. Choose whether to restart the computer and run the tool immediately or schedule the tool to run at the next restart.
  4. Windows Memory Diagnostics runs automatically after the computer restarts and performs a standard memory test automatically. If you want to perform fewer or more tests, press F1, use the Up and Down arrow keys to set the Test Mix as Basic, Standard, or Extended, and then press F10 to apply the desired settings and resume testing.
  5. When testing is completed, the computer restarts automatically. You’ll see the test results when you log on.

Method 4: Run Check Disk

I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click on Command prompt (Admin).
  3. Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.

NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

122 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, 

Method 1, no results

Method 2, tried to get into safe mode, but it won't !  F8 and shift + F8 etc. None of them works. Now that Windows 10 was a download.. and i have no DVD and its not possible to put laptop into safe mode, i'm running out of options !! What to do?

Thanks

Jeedie

41 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I found that once the install failed with this kernel mode error, it just kept on restarting and the error changed to unable to find boot device.  When I created a recovery USB from another machine, it returned to the kernel mode message and round again.  

Eventually I ended up restoring a system image and am now back to Windows 7 and wondering how to make sure I'm more successful next time.  

Would any of the suggested steps help with this?  I'm assuming that until I retry the install I won't get this message coming up.

Thanks

Barbara

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

same thing is happing now to me (unexpected_kernel_mode_trap). I need to restore my computer every time.

Did somebody receive some help from Windows yet ???

73 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

nothing happened

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Leo,

We apologize for not being able to address your concern in a timely manner.

I suggest you to perform a Clean Boot and find out which application/service is causing this issue.

A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem. Perform a clean boot on the computer by following the steps given in the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean

boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

so the only answer to this endless loop of Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap, is to reset Windows 10.

I've reset Windows 10 three times now in the last week from this error. It fails "Start-up Recovery", "System Restore", and sometimes fails to go into safe mode.

I've removed all my external hardware, boot into safe-mode and disable things like audio drivers and networking. Nothing on the device list looks out of order. But still the BSOD when booting normally.

The only temporary fix i have is to reset. Temporary meaning a only a few days, with more hours of troubleshooting. Not to mention the relentless amount of reboots required to troubleshoot Windows 10.

Just to get into safe-mode, is as follows;

turn pc on
unexpected_kernel_mode_trap 0%-100% 
auto-reboot
unexpected_kernel_mode_trap 0%-100% 
auto-reboot
starting system recovery (click advanced options to enter safe boot)
reboot
Press 4 to enter safe mode.
finally in safe-mode. 

Windows 7 is looking pretty nice right now. Going to downgrade if this error persists.

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello All!

After countless attempts at trying install Win10, I found the solution that worked for me.

I simply uninstalled Bluetooth, Wireless, & Intel RST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) Programs &

Drivers on my current SSD.

When I initially performed a clean install of Win7 on a diffrent SSD, I loaded the MB's chipset drivers, LAN drivers,

Audio Drivers & Graphic Card Driver (Nvidia in my case).  That was it.  Nothing else.  Win10 installed....no problem.

Thinking this over, I wondered what the difference between the two SSD's were, and bingo!

With my Win7 SSD, all programs were installed including Bluetooth & Wireless Programs (specifically

Microsoft Bluetooth, Broadcom Wireless, & Intel RST), whereas, the new SSD didn't have them!  In uninstalled

them, then reattempted the Win10 Upgrade...

It worked for me.

Hope this helps.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ascott,

We are glad to know that you have fixed the issue on your own.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Thank you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the unexpected kernel issue twice, restarting as many times as necessary - half a dozen or more - has worked so far.

But it is totally unacceptable for someone from Microsoft to say "try this" "try that" ..... .  If this was a faulty piece of hardware, it would have been returned to the shop long before now.   Unfortunately, Microsoft is a near monopoly and thus gets way with products which are not suitable for purpose.

No amount of criticism, even from government bodies, has any effect - this is what happens when an organisation is allowed to get too big.

And what are the chances of anyone at Microsoft reading these complaints.

1403 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.