Question

Q: Black screen on Dell XPS One 2710

My Dell XPS One 2710 (All-in-One desktop PC) will not boot and only gives me a black screen. When I power on the machine, the video display flashes for a couple of seconds, then is unresponsive. I don't get the Dell logo -- just black screen. The hard drive and fan are running on the machine, so this does not appear to be a power supply problem. I've unplugged all peripherals. I've also attempted to connect another monitor to the all-in-one, using the HDMI out port, but I still only get black screen.

I upgraded the machine to Windows 10. All seemed to be working well for about four weeks. This week, the machine began behaving oddly, going unresponsive during simple activities such as Web browsing. Finally, it started black screening on restart, and now it's in the current state of perpetual black screen.

I have Windows 10 installation media, and I'd like to do a clean install of the OS. All of my data is backed up. But I can't get the machine to acknowledge the installation media, which is on a USB drive. Pressing F1, F2, F12 on power up does nothing.

Thoughts or recommendations?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way.

I suggest that you try the steps below and check if issue persist:

Method 1:

1. While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
  2. If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab of the Task      manager and ending the task.

If this resolves your issue, then follow the steps below to repair the corrupted resolution.

Step1: DISM

Follow the steps to Run DISM Commands:

1) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

2) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

3) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
     dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Step 2: SFC scan

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Method 2:

If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of your choice (choose):

net user test <password> /add
net localgroup Administrators test /add

This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Neither method works. In Method 1, the Task Manager doesn't appear when I press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. And Method 2 is not possible, as Windows never loads and there is no way to display a CMD window.

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

I have the same problem some days after installing Window 10.

Sometimes the systems starts, sometimes not.

Dell support told me that this should be a problem with Nvidia driver after installing Windows 10, but the update of Nvidia realesed on August 31 does not complete its installation. So I think I have to wait for a Nvidia update which works.

Sorry this didn't help.

This same thing just happened to mine. I had used the Intel driver update utility to upgrade the graphics driver, and it asked me to reboot, then trouble. I held the power button down to turn it off, then tried to turn on multiple times. I then dug around in my desk for my USB recovery drive, and it just started booting up again. Later, I had to restart again for something, and now it wont boot up again. This really sucks. I even powered it on, and left it all night, hoping maybe it would just come on at some point, by nope. I think it's likely the video driver update, but I'm not sure what to even do now. It won't even see my USB recovery drive either.

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly the sameproblem here too while trying to recover .

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

The issue could be if there is some system file corruption. Try to perform automatic repair and see if it helps.

Step 1: Create ISO for Windows 10

You may also refer to the article mentioned below to for downloading Windows 10 on your computer.

Download Windows 10

Step 2: Perform an Automatic repair

The Automatic repair can detect and fix the issues that prevent the computer from working normally.

After you have a Windows 10 installation disc/USB, follow these steps: 

1. When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.
  2. The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
  3. Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM (in case you create DVD). Select USB in case you create USB.
  4. After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen      appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
  5. Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
  6. Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
  7. Click on Troubleshootingadvanced option and then click Startup Repair

Step 3

If automatic repair doesn’t help to repair the startup files, you may try to repair them using these commands through Command Prompt under Advance Options. 

Refer to the steps:

a) After you boot your computer using Windows 8 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.

f) Click on command Prompt.

g) Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is impossible to make these operations because the logo does not appear at startup and the bios is not accessible.

Sorry this didn't help.

133 people were helped by this reply

Ive had exactly the same problem, i hope someone has an answer. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have spoken with Dell support and they told me that xps one 2710 is not compatible with windows 10 and if I install it that will be at my own risk. So, after changing the motherboard, I formatted and installed windows 8.1. I think there isn't any other solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is changing the motherboard essential? Where did you get one from?

Sorry this didn't help.

15 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 15,676 Last updated: May 10, 2018 Applies to: