Battery drain with windows 10 on surface pro 2

I recently upgraded to windows 10 on my surface pro 2, i really like it but now when i press the power button to put into hibernate mode or even getting it to sleep, it doesnt do so, the screen comes back on even when i am not using device and my battery drains to point the pro 2 dies and i dont even know it.  Has anyone else experienced  this? i  have tried adjusting sleep time and hibernate time in power settings but it still seems to happen, i turned off notifications, bluetooth, anything i can think of that might cause it but i still do not know why.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2019 Views 6,610 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yeah. Noticed similar. Every time I pick it up now and it's been a few hours since it last have been used, the battery is empty  :-( 

Battery life during usage also seems much higher than earlier. 

Did a restore to Windows 8 and updated to Windows 8.1 quite recently - not much extra software installed. Worked fine until the Win10 update.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I seem to have fixed the problem by setting Allow wake timers to Disable (Advanced power settings, Sleep, Allow wake timers).

Now sleep sleeps :)

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine was set to disable, but still the screen is on and of every 1,2 minutes. And it is draining heavily.

Someone with another solution?!

Sorry this didn't help.

Make sure that the "Hey Cortana" feature is turned off.  This is causing high drain and is being investigated.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also experienced this.

I tried Surazal's idea but hasn't fixed it.

Fix is needed ASAP, Fans are working overtime and surface is extremely hot... Having to turn off completely when travelling.

Not ideal and not impressed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you press Ctrl+Shift+Escape together and in the list, see which process is using the most CPU and Disk activity?  You can click the column heading up top until the highest ones are listed first to make it easy to identify.

The processes that are using the most of these could be causing the bottleneck and slow performance, especially if there isn't a lot of Memory available, because then it has to "swap" out to the swap file on the drive, leading to even more bottlenecks.

If the programs using the most resources aren't items you're using, it's likely one of the following:

• Virus scanner running the "first time scan" after installing your new upgrade
  • Search indexing system building up a new index after the upgrade
  • OneDrive/GoogleDrive/OtherOnlineCloudStorageThings re-scanning for any possible changes after the upgrade
  • Windows "deferred tasks" as Gabel Aul calls them (Microsoft General Manager). These are post-install cleanup tasks and other optimizations (you may be familiar with that LONG wait after upgrading android where it re-optimizes all the apps).

If any of these are busy doing their work, it'll really impact performance. And if more than one happens to be going at once, it really basically drags you down to a crawl.  I've honestly advised some users to just set their power options to not go to sleep mode, and leave it on overnight to finish all the things like that.

But...

But that's of course not always the case.  If you don't think these above are what's impacting you, or you see other processes causing resource utilization (using CPU/Disk/Memory) that aren't these things, let me know and we'll see if we can identify them and what's causing the freeze.

PS. I'd definitely advise checking for updates from Windows Update.

In every install I've done so far, things are quiet and cool once these finally finish but it can take a full day of powered-up idle time, especially for that index crawler.  And if it doesn't finish, it's likely hung up on some XML file (iTunes tends to cause this), but let me know and we can dig into that, it's actually easy to fix by just telling the indexer to stop looking inside XML files.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

how do you turn off  Hey cortana  in windows 10? i didnt see any options in the cortana app.  also i am trying turning off apps that can run in background to try to prevent severe battery drain

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I also have the same issue with my Surface Pro 2. I am not sure if this could help but I noticed using “Coretemp” , that the “WUDFHost” (Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process) is frequently causing high CPU and Temperature. I know that WUDFHost is not allowing me being disabled, but after ending the task via task manager, the CPU obviously drops down and the temperature as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

All of Cortana's settings are inside her "notebook".  It's the 3nd icon down from the top (menu, home, notebook) along the left edge of Cortana's window.

Sorry this didn't help.

i opened cortana but on the left side all i see are  home, settings, feedback.  i do not see any notebook option for cortana,  i must be missing something  or maybe there is a update for cortana i dont have yet.

Sorry this didn't help.