Windows Defender Security Center warning icon

I have APC Back-UPS CS 500 connected by USB to my Windows 10 desktop computer. In power config I have set 'Sleep' option to 'Never' setting for RDP access as described here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/how-to-use-remote-desktop

After installing Windows Creators Update (version 1703, build 15063.13) I can see Windows Defender Security Center icon on the taskbar. When starting system it has green checkmark but after a few tens of minutes it changes into yellow warning mark. Then I open Windows Defender Security Center and I can see (it says that):

'Device performance and health' section has also warning mark and displaying 'Health report' shows also warning mark in 'Battery life' section with '1 recommendation' saying that sleep timeout on this device is currently set to infinite and this may affect the battery life of device. 

Additionally 'Virus and threat protection' section says: you're using other antivirus providers (like showed on the first black screenshot on this https://www.winhelp.us/configure-windows-defender-security-center.html webpage), whilst there is no any other such a product installed on this computer.

Does anyone had similar situation and knows what to do to make Windows Defender Security Center not warning about definitely proper power configuration?

Moved from Virus & Malware

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

As I can see not only me have such a problem:

http://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-windows-defender-security-center-windows-10-creators-update#comment-2729266

( LeonC1963 user's comment )

70 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Any response or idea how to disable this annoying warning?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Was the upgrade to Win10 1703 offered & installed via Windows Update or did you choose to install it manually?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Me too. Applied the Creators Update and immediately the Defender icon went crazy with the yellow exclamation mark. I thought I had a virus or something.

This is a mystifying decision by Microsoft, and it's wrong on several different levels. That's the Defender icon, it's supposed to be related to security issues. And now it's throwing warnings for a "performance" issue? ROTFL

I am not going to change the Sleep settings. I need Sleep set to Never, this computer is doing unsupervised work and needs to keep going even when I'm not around babysitting it. And now that the Defender icon is permanently "warning" me - well, guess what: I am going to continue ignoring it. And one day something serious is actually going to happen, like a virus or something, and I'm not going to pay attention to it.

Congratulations Microsoft, you just made your Defender icon useless.

I get it, you want to make your systems seem snappy and high-performance, and the Sleep function helps because it extends battery life. But this ham-fisted decision to push "performance" notifications through a SECURITY warning mechanism is dumb no matter how you look at it. This is the stuff of Dilbert cartoons.

Show that warning to the user in a different way. You have notifications showing in the bottom-right corner all the time, it's the perfect channel for this sort of thing.

Or at the very least allow the user to go in and check that notification out. "Yep, I am aware of it, I am not going to change that setting, thank you."

Related discussion on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/66zvti/windows_defender_freaks_out_if_you_set_the_sleep/

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

...the Defender icon, it's supposed to be related to security issues. And now it's throwing warnings for a "performance" issue? ROTFL

Microsoft rearranged the deck chairs again. In Win10 1703, Windows Defender Security Center is not the same as Windows Defender Antivirus. [sic] See https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/23/introducing-windows-defender-security-center/

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft rearranged the deck chairs again. In Win10 1703, Windows Defender Security Center is not the same as Windows Defender Antivirus. [sic] See https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/23/introducing-windows-defender-security-center/

Holy cow! Thanks for the information! When is Windows Defender not Windows Defender?

Sorry this didn't help.

When is Windows Defender not Windows Defender?

When you're running Win10 1703, I guess. God only knows what Redstone 3 has in store. Maybe the Mail app (AKA Windows Mail; AKA Outlook Mail) will be called Windows Live-and-In-Person-on-Your-Computer Mail?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a terrible mix-up of security with unrelated issues. It dilutes the usefulness of security warnings. A lot of people are going to turn off those notifications altogether - which is bad from a security point of view.

It still makes no sense to me whatsoever that they are generating a warning when the system is configured with perfectly legitimate settings. This is a bit too much of a nanny-state policy. I know what I'm doing, I NEED the system to be configured like that, why do they insist to flag it as an "issue"?

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a terrible mix-up of security with unrelated issues...

It still makes no sense to me whatsoever that they are generating a warning when the system is configured with perfectly legitimate settings...

I concur.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have updated my system using Update Assistant.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 3, 2020 Views 13,809 Applies to: