Windows 10 Shutdown (Power-off) Issue

Just upgraded to Windows 10 (Home) from Windows 7. Everything is running fine, except at the very end of the new Windows experience. When I click on Power>Shut down, Win 10 does go ahead with a shutdown and does appear to do just that, with the window going blank. Except, 3 out of 5 times, the computer's power stays on and on, without powering down completely. In the end, I have to remove the battery to kill the power altogether.

This does not happen every time, but does happen often enough to be annoying.

What may be causing this problem?

Thanks!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had the same issue with my Laptop. Unchecking Turn on fast start-up worked in my PC., may effect start-up speed. But better than a force shut down using Power button.

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks! I did what you suggested, and the power-off hanging issue did go away. The start-up speed has not been adversely impacted by this change. Rather, ironically, it is the shutdown speed that has now become slower (time to reach the blank screen has become longer). It is still better than the power staying on and making me do the forced power-off. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

fast boot up is one of the best features of windows 8, you want us to turn it off? Then why now just go back to windows 7. I am done with this new OS, i am going back to my windows 8.1 now. Maybe i will give windows 10 another chance in the next 11 months. But now, no, thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I note many reported problems are for HP laptops so perhaps the problem is within the BIOS and not Windows 10. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I mentioned below, my computer actually boots up faster with the fast startup turned off. I upgraded from 7, and 10 with the fast startup turned off boots faster (albeit by only a few seconds) than under 7.  

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine is an HP too, but this problem never occurred under 7, and it did go away as soon as I implemented MugeebRPT's suggestion. As I replied to him, it has not caused any slowdown in the boot-up speed in my PC despite that.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I became curious about the boot-up speed with the fast startup turned on, so I have just measured multiple starts under that condition. To my surprise, my PC does not only NOT boot up any faster, but also in some cases more slowly with the fast startup on. A couple of boot-ups with the fast startup on took over 30 seconds, power-on to desktop, which is an eternity with my machine (it has an SSD). Go figure.

With the fast startup turned off, what is definitely noticeable is that the shutdown is slower than otherwise. But as soon as I turned off the fast startup, my computer booted up in 18 seconds, power-on to desktop, settling down to the usual 15-16 seconds, after a few boot-ups. Maybe with an SSD the fast startup is not really necessary and could even be detrimental. I dunno.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree that the fast boot up is a great feature. But I have been struggle is this Shutdown and Sleep mode issue for some time and I have grown tired of it. I do not like to manually shut off the laptop daily, it is also not good for it. I am willy to have a bit slower boot up vs this issue. I am going to wait for Microsoft and/or HP to fix the issue. Love the Win 10 too much to go back.

8/8/2015 Update:

I have found the real fix for the issue without any sacrifices (the way it should be):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/win-10-shutdown/645137d4-72a9-4980-9fe3-7db5b7b41f6d

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue with my Laptop. Unchecking Turn on fast start-up worked in my PC., may effect start-up speed. But better than a force shut down using Power button.

This did not help me. It still had the issue. But I did find the real fix with out any sacrifices: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/win-10-shutdown/645137d4-72a9-4980-9fe3-7db5b7b41f6d

There is the real fix.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But that link refers to windows updates. We're  (HP Laptop owners ) not having problems with the updates, but a problem with the Laptop requiring a forced shut down.

DaveB

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 26, 2023 Views 37,179 Applies to: