How many hours does it take for Windows 10 to shut down?

As mentioned in other threads, Windows 10 behaves differently each day. On days 1 and 12, it will not shut down. It goes through the process of shutting down and all programs close. Last night, I watched it for a bit and noticed the hard drive light flashed constantly for well over 10 minutes with the ‘Shutting down’ message and the dots on the screen. Eventually I went to bed.

When I got up in the middle of the night, I could see my regular desktop. All the programs had shut down but there was still a heap of processes. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the blue menu, then going to the shut-down there, did nothing, and the regular method did nothing as well. I had to do a manual reset to reboot the computer.

On a few other nights there is another message—I forget what it is—but I’ll post that when I recall it.

On the 12 days I’ve had Windows 10, it has shut down properly maybe three times. But, like I say, every day is different. I’ve never come across such an inconsistent, capricious operating system.

Question Info

Last updated December 29, 2017 Views 40 Applies to:
Are you using the 1511 update yet?   It fixes a great many issues with shutdown.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Shawn: that’s the only one I’ve ever been on. Sorry, I should have mentioned I was already on 1511.
Jack Yan
jackyan.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.