Computer will not boot

my computer is totally unusable, I have read a lot of the solutions that involve downloading this or that but the computer will not boot....I only get as far as the spinner and I have left it running for hours and nothing. Once I got as far as the intro screen which let me do a normal shutdown but it went back to spinning and never turned off and I let it go for three hours. I did a hard shutdown, rebooted and now it's back to the spinner 

***Post moved to the appropriate forum category. Subject edited by the moderator for clarity.***

Try disconnecting all non-essential devices, just keep your keyboard and mouse connected. Disconnect from the Internet also and see if it boots to the desktop.

How long did you wait when this happens?

Turn your computer on and off three times.  While booting, make sure you turn off the computer when you see the Windows logo. After the third time, Windows 10 will boot into diagnostics mode. Click Advanced options when the recovery screen appears.

Click Troubleshoot.

Click Advanced options.

Click Startup repair

See: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-black-screen-windows-10/

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for such a good and quick response but after disconncting from everything except mouse keyboard and monitor, I still boot immediately to the spinner, no message. I will leave it spinning for a while and then reconnect the network and see if that makes any difference.

Yesterday afternoon I got the preparing windows repair message, the screen went black, didn't even get a spinner and it sat for over 7 hours with no change before I turned it off by holding the on/off button long enough. 

i would love to see a desktop, at least then I could do the things recommended.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Without the network, the CPU timed out and died. With the network, and nothing else attached, I got a clear message that windows repair was starting, the screen went almost dark but still showed the CPU is in control. I will leave this running.

my system disk is a SSD so can't tell if anything is going on.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Andre 

As I mention above, this morning, I left the computer on after the brief message that windows recovery was starting. It has now been on for 12 hours and no desk top, nor any further message from windows recovery. After 10 hours, I removed the network cable and left it off for about 20 minutes without any notification or user message.

whats next?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Option 1

• Check to ensure there is disk activity (look at the hard disk LED light to confirm. If there is, keep waiting. If setup goes beyond 2 to 3 hours, try the following steps.
  • Power down the computer. Unplug it, then wait 20 mins to 1 hour.
  • If you are using a laptop, remove the battery if the option is available.
  • Disconnect it from the Internet (unplug Ethernet and/or turn off Wi-Fi).
  • Plug it again, ensure it remains disconnected from the Internet then start computer.
  • See if it completes setup.
  • If setup completes and you see the desktop with the ability to click Start and launch programs, proceed to reconnect to the Internet.
  • Update drivers: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Your next best option is to go to a working computer, create a bootable Windows 10 install media, then perform a custom install.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files 

Step 2: How to: Perform a custom installation of Windows

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Andre

big zero on any system control. Bios sees the disk but it's never accessed by windows. I also switched all cords on the mobo to no effect. So I took it to a tech. He has access to tools referenced in your replays that I don't have easy access to. Too bad that I have to resort to a tech just to get an update to work. 

Thanks for for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still not resolved. I have

downloaded the ISO file and was unable to boot from the system created from that.

took it to a computer service.

bought a real copy of windows 10, the tech was unable to install that on the SDD drive which is where the original windows 10 was.

The tech created a win10 on a different disk and created an image on a different disk and copied it to the SSD.

Waiting to hear on that. 

Is is there an issue with loading win10 to a SSD ? Cause I am beginning to wonder about the disk.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for all the help, I made such a splash here trying to figure it out.....

It was a hardware problem, the data disk crashed and caused windows to just go blank, too bad that windows wouldn't time out when it couldn't read that disk because it turned out the system disk was ok. I even attached the bad disk via USB and when i did that the system again went into full choke mode until i removed the disk and rebooted.

thanks for all the assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 18, 2020 Views 105 Applies to: