Black Screen - can't start Windows 10

Everything was working well until yesterday.  Now I can't start Windows 10.  All I see is a black screen with a blinking white dash in the top left corner.  This was originally accompanied by a screaming bleeping sound, but now it's quiet.  I have tried all suggestions but nothing works.  I have tried a rescue disk but this doesn't work either.  I have a Samsung Series 3 laptop i7 64 bit.  If the problem is the Radeon video adapter how do I proceed when I can't reboot or restore to an earlier restore point?  Microsoft said we could install Windows 10 'with confidence'.  Am I entitled to compensation if my laptop has to go in the bin?  

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2018 Views 402 Applies to:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Since you are unable to boot to Windows 10, you can enable the legacy Advanced Boot Options menu that allows you to press F8 upon startup. It will display the additional boot options from which you can get to the safe mode in Windows 10.
You can enable the Advanced Boot Options menu by following the below instructions.

1. Power on your PC. Use the appropriate key(s) to enter into the BIOS setup.
  2. Configure your PC’s BIOS to use CD/DVD drive as the first boot device.
  3. Insert the Windows 10 bootable disc, save the BIOS settings, and restart the computer with the Windows 10 DVD.
  4. On the first displayed screen, click Next, and then click Repair your computer from the next box.
  5. From the Choose an option window, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced optionsCommand Prompt.
  6.  the opened command-line interface, type C: and press Enter.
  7. Once the first commend executes successfully, type BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY command and press Enter.
  8. In the command line-interface itself, this time type EXIT and press Enter.
  9. Eject the inserted Windows 10 bootable disc.
  10. Back on the Choose an option window, click Continue.
  11. Optionally, revert the BIOS settings back to default or set the hard disk drive as the first bootable device, and restart the computer.
  12. Once the computer shuts down and begins to restart, start pressing the F8 key repeatedly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu.
  13. When displayed, use the arrow keys to go to (highlight) the Safe Mode option and press Enter to start Windows 10 in safe mode.

To disable the same, you can follow the above steps till step 8, and use the BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD command instead and presenter.

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

You may refer to the article mentioned below for downloading Windows 10.

Download Windows 10

If you are unable to boot to safe mode, follow the same steps till step 4 and repair your computer.

Hope this information was helpful.

Regards,
Sahil Bali

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am facing the same issue. The system comes on but the screen goes blank. Absolutely ridiculous! Shouldn't have take the risk of updating!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I followed your suggestions to the letter, but they didn't work.  If it wasn't for my trusty old laptop with XP I wouldn't be able to contact you at all.  Do you have any other ideas to get past the black screen and into Windows 10?  It wasn't possible to repair Windows; the F8 key didn't work; I couldn't get into Safe Mode; and I finished with a fresh install of Windows 10 which didn't fix the problem either.

Will Microsoft be compensating all those people like me, who aren't able to use their computers any more because of Windows 10?  I note that there are pages of issues in the forum.  Who do I write to express my grievances?  My laptop is less than three years old and cost me nearly $800.  Is Microsoft going to pay for it to be fixed?

Sorry this didn't help.

I totally agree with you. It's absolutely outrageous that Microsoft has put it's millions of users on such a painful path to upgrade to Windows 10. I have unsuccessfully tried to fix this "black screen" issue several times now, and so far my only option left is to revert to Win 7 by using the original discs that came with my PC.

Good luck...

Sorry this didn't help.