Windows Creators Update: Renders my PC Unable to Boot

Hi there everybody,

So yesterday I finally decided to update my computer to the creator's update after putting it off for a while. I downloaded everything and hit install, no worries there.

However, during the installation process, something went very wrong. At around 22% completion, my PC rebooted and suddenly displayed my normal boot screen with a white text saying "BlInitialization failed 0xc00000bb", and I have absolutely no idea what this is. I tried resetting my SSD (Kingston 128GB) but this issue is so bad that it won't even let me do that. At first my SSD was locked, then I unlocked it using commands in CMD but it all of the sudden disappeared and windows has no idea that it even exists. I tried resetting everything and all Windows tells me is "We ran into an error." or something like that and that's it.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? My PC was scanned for viruses that same day and I know there are no viruses or any strange activity before this. This stupid update ruined my computer and I am unable to even boot because my SSD is seemingly corrupt and no troubleshooting can yield me any results.

If anyone has any other helpful information, I'd absolutely love to hear it. Thank you!

My SSD is a 128GB Kingston and my motherboard is a Gigabyte motherboard.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2019 Views 2,690 Applies to:

Hi Aaron,

One of the possible reasons why your PC fails to boot into normal mode are broken components on the boot configuration data of your system. To isolate your concern, we suggest that you perform the following steps to trigger Safe Mode through the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) option. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Improper shutdown process
    • Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the power source of your computer. Perform this step three times.
    • On the fourth time that you turn on your computer, just simply wait for the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) window to appear.
  2. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click Restart.
  3. Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the F4 key to start your computer in Safe Mode.

We also recommend that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Right-click on the Start Menu and select Control Panel.
  2. On the upper-right window, under View by, click Category and select Large icons.
  3. Search Control Panel for Recovery.
  4. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  5. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey! So I attempted to boot my computer into WinRE but unfortunately I cannot do this because my PC is unable to even start windows. When I boot my PC, it just shows my motherboard brand with no loading dots or anything. A few seconds later it says "BIInitialization failed 0xc00000bb".

However, I can get to WinRE using my USB I got Windows 10 from. (It's the light blue background stuff after I click Repair My PC, right?) 

Here's my next issue: I cannot actually reset or reformat or rollback. I don't have any rollback points that my computer can find (although I have rolled back before, not sure why I can't now) and when I try to reset my whole SSD and delete absolutely everything, Windows simply doesn't let me. None of the recovery options work. Everytime I try to reset my SSD (without completely deleting everything for recycle use, I don't want to do that) it just tells me "Windows ran into a problem." and that's it.

Am I gonna need to buy a whole new SSD to install windows on? Why can I not do anything to fix this issue?

Sorry for the confusing issue, I am not sure how Microsoft's update managed to ruin my computer like this.

Thank you so much for your support :)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

In this case, to regain access in Windows, we recommend that you perform an in-place upgrade using an ISO file to repair any broken system file while keeping your personal files, settings and installed applications. To do this, follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa in this article.

Keep us posted if you encounter any challenges along the process.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Aaron. I know how you must be feeling - after Creators Fall WU was installed the first screen I got was that my PC had run into a problem BSOD - error 0xc0000225 Win 10. I couldn't get to my desktop to run an repair etc. programs. So I created this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/failed-creators-fall-wu-has-caused-a-bsod-error/de255511-21d9-4b35-9dd4-af3480f80c3c?messageId=7769d56e-a17c-4cc8-a4f0-62d29e38662b

Monkey57's patience and advice to do a Clean Install has resolved my problem and I'm overjoyed - I now have my main laptop back, although I have some more work to do now.

I strongly suggest that you follow his advice mainly on the pages at the end and go for it. Do let me know how you get on - please!!

Well done MS Programming Team for another problem-free WU. (Oct19 v1903 18362.418). Member since 1990 (Windows 3 was my 1st PC) but I had to change Profile name in 2014 due to a system problem.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.