Windows 10 Update 1511 Reboot Loop Bootcamp

Hi,

On Friday night I went to bed with a working machine. I had a Late 2013 Mac Pro running BootCamp with an install of Windows 10 Pro running the build prior to 1511.

On Saturday morning I woke to my PC rebooting itself over and over again. It would seem that Windows Update decided to put a new version of Windows 10 on my machine without my knowledge. I only found this out after restoring from an acronis backup (which took a couple of hours due to the number of incremental backups)

Every now and again (about 1 in 20 reboots) it would blue screen with an error:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (ACPI.sys)

But the rest of the time it would just boot, flash a window up for a millisecond that says (I think) winlaunch.exe, then reboot.

I have tried many things for sort this including:

1) Restoring from an acronis backup to Friday morning, running sfc /scannow, then running the update

2) Creating a recovery usb, going into console, altering the boot method to legacy so I can F8, then going into all the different safe modes, and bootlog mode, but I can find where windows 10 now puts the boot log

3) Restored from acronis, switched to mac, created a new bootcamp drivers usb, switched to windows and run the "repair drivers" option before performing the update.

ntbtlog.txt does not exist anywhere on the partition. I have run a dir /s > a.txt  then opened that a.txt in notepad and searched it.

I don't know where to go from here. I can acronis restore to a working windows 10 machine the morning before it mandatory installs 1511. I don't know how to delay the update any more, I have noted during a restore that I had delay updates turned on which is why this has only just cropped up now.

I don't know how to find where that ACPI.sys BSOD is coming from (even though it happens so infrequently) or what its trying to load just before it crashes (so I can try to remove the driver etc from the restored windows prior to upgrade)

I assume that causes widows 10 to do a rollback, then the rollback fails.

All in all, I'm getting to the end of my wits with this, to go from a fully working Windows 10 install on Friday to over two days wasted, restoring backups, trying again, rinse and repeat. It's now Monday morning and I'm posting this as a last ditch attempt to fix the problem so your help would be appreciated.

If you need more info please let me know the location of files etc, or their names and I'll do my best to get copies available for you.

I'm now gong to restore from backup again, uninstall a load of drivers, then try the windows update for the 4th or 5th time.

Thanks in advance,

Julian

Question Info

Last updated June 24, 2018 Views 1,686 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Woo Hoo, I fixed the problem!

I uninstalled both the AMD Graphics Drivers (using AMD Driver Cleaner) and Arcronis True Image Home 2013 at the same time, then let Windows Update run its course. I now have a working machine again with Windows 10 Version 1511!!

It only took me 4 days of downtime... 

I hope this helps someone else out.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.