Windows 10 Suddenly restarts without warning

Hello I recently just installed windows 10 on my laptop, coming from windows 8.1 which I guess would have been the latest windows before 10. Everything works fine for me in windows 10 but then what keeps happening is that I'll be watching youtube videos or playing games or doing important work when without any error messages or warning it will just restart. I don't know if that cause of and update but usually I would be notify that windows will update and it even allows me to postpone it. but with this problem windows just restarts and I have no idea why it does this. Please if anyone is having this problem as well and has fixed it let me know or if any tech person can possibly tell me why this is happening I figure this is one of the bugs of windows 10.

02/19/2016

OK so after not using this laptop for a couple of months, recently a few days ago I pay a visit to a Microsoft store in downtown NYC. I met a very helpful Tec there. I was originally there due to a phone problem I was having (which is resolved) And I thought why not mention this problem I've been having with this laptop. So I did and he was the first to actually give me good advice I don't know if this would have been common knowledge to anyone else but when dealing with tec I tend to get extremely paranoid and scared cause I've had so many issues with bad results. Basically he told me to system reboot my computer that if there is any problems it will delete them once I system reboot so I did. Still have windows ten I thought I would go back to windows 8.1. I had to reinstall things but that is never a problem for me. So far since the reboot everything had worked fine I watch YouTube videos, I played my game. But recently just a few minutes ago today I was playing a game and it did it again; it just restarted without any warning of a restart for downloads or what not. My heart fell because in the back of my mind I was waiting for this to happen and I didn't want to let myself believe I had fix the problem. So I came back to this thread, someone mention something really interesting and sounded like it could work I follow their instructions for what they did for their computer they had the same problem as mine. So hopefully from right now I'm going to continue using this laptop like I have been and see if doing what the person said has worked if not then I guess I have to throw money in to take it to some professionals to see if they can find out what wrong with my laptop. Again I only had this laptop for about not even a year maybe close to a year and when I first had this laptop it originally had windows 8.1 (which worked just fine) So I feel like as someone who had laptops before this one and have had trail and error For having a laptop not even one year old yet and upgrading and having this problem this shouldn't even be a problem. Besides the games I play which may work the computer the other stuff I do like watching YouTube videos or watching movies or writing it shouldn't cause this problem. I will update again to let whoever still looking at this post know if I indeed went to get it professionally fix. I really hope I don't have to.

03\04\16

So I've gone back to not using my laptop windows 10 is still restarting without any error messages or warning. And to be honest it is very annoying. I feel like I can't play games or do important work on my laptop and I know for a fact its not my laptop. I'm a just try to go back to windows 8, had no problems with windows 8. Hopefully Microsoft will try to fix windows ten one day hopefully. 

Question Info

Last updated December 14, 2018 Views 143,568 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, 

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 

We are researching on the issue; will update the post soon

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi!

I don't know how to solve your problem, I have similar problem on desktop PC , Windows Update had an error  with downloads stuck on 6% with two of the first  updates( KB3074686) and KB3074678),(today all been downloaded successfully  with the latest updates too  , followed a troubleshoot on Microsoft website about restart WU and BITS . I thought the sudden reboot issue gone by this ,but not . The computer still reboots randomly about 1-2 times a day.Windows 10 Home x64 upgraded from 8.1 x64 using the Media Tool.

Thank You!

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your inconvenience that your Windows 10 automatically restarts.

1. What is the make and model of your computer?
2. Are you able to put your PC on Sleep or Shutdown it?

I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Boot your computer in Safe Mode and check if the same issue exists.

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started.

Follow the steps mentioned in the following article:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2809468

If the issue gets resolved in Safe mode, then go to next method:

Method 2: Perform a clean boot and then check the behavior.
A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

Follow the steps mentioned in the following article.
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting” to boot the computer in normal mode.

Hope it helps. Reply to us for further assistance.We’ll be glad to help you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That the thing, It has nothing to do with downloads or updates when this happens. I can be watching videos on Youtube or watching a movie or doing work on my laptop and without any error messages or a message from windows saying it's going to update it just restarts without warning. I thought it could have been due to the updates and I actually disable that part but it's still happening.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing just happened to me watching twitch just restarted.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had someone at Microsoft support take a look at my computer via remote control access and there was nothing wrong with my computer but she did point out to me that for some unknown reason maybe my laptop isn't a good model but the reason for my laptop to just restart without warning could be due to it overheating, so what I did was got the can of compressed can of air and clean the fan vent where the CPU is and any opening vent and ever since then I haven't had it happen, maybe once but it seems to me like that was the reason. Though it's odd cause when I had 8.1 this never happened to my laptop it ran fine but since windows 10 in the beginning it happen a lot but since I clean it and give it cool air it seem to have stop. Maybe you can try the same and that might help I hope so

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, this is beginning to be quite annoying, initially I thought that I had a power outage, but it seems that every 3 or 4 days a random reboot happens, no warning , no blue screen, no heavy activity, just normal browsing or watching a movie. Can it be a side effect of the mandatory scheduled restart? 

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

After the clean out as someone else did mines been fine. Perhaps it maybe something to try

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello I recently just installed windows 10 on my laptop, coming from windows 8.1 which I guess would have been the latest windows before 10. Everything works fine for me in windows 10 but then what keeps happening is that I'll be watching youtube videos or playing games or doing important work when without any error messages or warning it will just restart. I don't know if that cause of and update but usually I would be notify that windows will update and it even allows me to postpone it. but with this problem windows just restarts and I have no idea why it does this. Please if anyone is having this problem as well and has fixed it let me know or if any tech person can possibly tell me why this is happening I figure this is one of the bugs of windows 10.

From maintenance history, it appeared the restarts on my laptop happened after maintenance. 

Tried to change maintenance settings, but settings feature wouldn't open.  Fixed that using patch found here:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-settings-app-does-not-launch

Then I changed maintenance settings to say 'schedule' restarts instead of doing them automatically.  Don't know if this will fix 'random' restarts, but here's hoping!

Also, I did 'Use the System File Checker tool' which found errors.  It didn't FIX the errors though, or suggest how to fix them, so that wasn't very helpful.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there any fix for this issue? Been having the issue myself for over a month and it is beyond irritating at this point. 

56 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.