Windows 10 Start Menu Stops opening, Windows 10 Apps Stop Working

Update 1/24: New user did not permanently fix the problem. For a temporary solution, restart the "Runtime Broker" process in Task Manager.

Update 12/7: Windows Event Viewer reports the following: Shell Experience host application hang and error paired with a cortanaUI error for everything taskbar click.

Since updating to Windows 10 Release 10586, I am periodically having the following problem with the Start Menu and Windows Store Apps (including the Windows Store itself and Edge, but not Windows Feedback). I did attempt to contact support through the support application before it failed, but it eventually froze during the conversation. At this point I rolled back to the previous release (10240).

Problem: Windows Start Menu Fails to open, Windows Store Apps fail to open

Steps:

1) Install Windows 10 Release 10586 (1511.14) including all Windows Updates

2) Wait indeterminate period of time - having trouble finding the exact trigger.

3) Open Windows Store Apps as below  (this includes all downloaded applications from the store running the Universal Framework).

Apps freeze on UI load screen - i.e. the solid color screen w/logo

4) Windows Start Menu stops responding, as well as system tray icons (including Action Center)

PC: Sony SVS151190X.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3610HQ

GPU: Switchable IntelHD 4000 / Nvidia 640M LE 2GB (Kepler)

Solutions attempted:
1) Restart fixes the problem for a short indeterminate period, and then freezes again.

2) Attempting a Windows Explorer restart in Task Manager has no effect.

3) SFC /scannow reports a corrupted "opencl.dll" file which cannot be repaired. DISM reports image not available to repair.

4) Clean boot attempted, prolonged the time to failure (~1 hour) but ultimately failed again

5) Rolling back to previous build solves the problem, rolling forward again breaks it again.

In the case of Edge, the browser opens but loads an empty webpage (not Cortana start or "where to next", actually blank) and does not respond to input.

Edge refuses to close normally and must be forced closed from Task Manager. This differs from other apps which do close normally.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2019 Views 4,347 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Almost the same but since the latest update I have lost Calendar, Mail, Weather, News and Store apps but a few programs I installed myself

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem.

Start menu unresponsive, as is network icon, volume icon, clock and action centre.

Tried sfc /scannow, and it reports opencl.dll as corrupt.

Edit: I tried to fix the opencl.dll by removing and reinstalling my Nvidia drivers, but this did not fix the sfc error for this dll.

Tried DISM, keeps failing with "source not found", even with USB recovery drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

1. Have you installed the latest November update?
  2. What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check.

If you recently added new hardware to your PC, shut down your PC, unplug the new hardware, and then restart your PC.

Also, place the system in Safe Mode and check if it works fine.

1. Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the Power button, and then select Restart.

2. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup settings > Restart. After your PC restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.

If you are able to get to Safe Mode, then try Clean Boot.

This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. It starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.
How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Safe Mode and Clean Boot do NOT fix anything.

Troubleshooter does NOT fix anything.

I also tried to fix the corrupt opencl.dll by removing my Nvidia driver and reinstalling this, as suggest on Nvidia forums, and this does not fix the sfc scannow error for opencl.dll.

Start still does not work.

Is it possible to go back to a Windows 10 build from before build 1511?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Have you installed the latest November update?
  2. What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check.

If you recently added new hardware to your PC, shut down your PC, unplug the new hardware, and then restart your PC.

Also, place the system in Safe Mode and check if it works fine.

If you are able to get to Safe Mode, then try Clean Boot.

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Edit: I now realize this was not in response to me. Nevertheless, the following is most relevant.

TThijme is correct in that the lack of response does extend to the Action Center and all "right side" system tray icons. System tray programs work as normal if they are win32 executables.

I have installed the latest updates including the build update 1511.

My computer is an Sony Vaio SVS151190X.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3610HQ

GPU: NVidia 640M LE, and the graphics are switchable between the GPU and Intel Integrated GPU

Original Operating System Windows 7

As stated, restarting does fix the problem temporarily, but I am having trouble finding any direct "trigger" once it is restarted.

The hardware has not recently been changed. This behavior started with the 1511 upgrade.

I have not attempted a safe mode boot, but I have attempted a clean boot (all non-MS services and startup programs disabled) with no success.

Sorry this didn't help.

TThijme,

Yes, you can roll back to build 10240 (the original Windows 10 build) the same way you could roll back from Windows 10 to the previous system. This is assuming you haven't "cleaned out" the Windows.old folder in any way.

Go to Windows Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Select "Go Back to an Earlier Build"

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm, that seems not possible. It says I no longer have the needed files, but there is a Windows.old folder that appeared 14th of november, I think from the Threshold 2 update, or 1511 update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well that is unfortunate.

I actually had rolled back on the first day they released the update, so I know it can work, but reinstalled when they re-released it after some show-stopper bug was fixed. Apparently it wasn't this one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried Safe Mode. First of all safe mode doesn't let me open most modern apps, so of course no problem occurs with them.

Willing to help diagnose this, but need a response soon after Thanksgiving week is up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Edit: Nevermind, false alarm. Thought I had fixed the problem but it just came back again.

Still occurring with 10586.17 with all updates.

Sorry this didn't help.