Windows 10 Screen keeps Refreshing

I am having an issue, I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and ever since my Windows 10 loaded my screen and taskbar constantly refresh. I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 it's a couple years old but I've never had an issue like this. I've tried multiple things, Malwarebytes, running DISM in command prompt, and made sure that my apps don't constantly refresh in Internet Explorer. The refreshing doesn't seem to go by a particular time, seems to be every couple seconds. It also doesn't seem to always interrupt important tasks, I'm just wondering if there was any way I can permanently fix this issue, if anyone has any Ideas please let me know.

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2019 Views 11,433 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Dessa,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to refer to the Blinking or Flashing desktop after log in section in the Wiki article byAndre Da Costa in below link and check if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f7356833

Hope this information helps. Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

unfortunately, when I click on your link it says "Content not found". I didn't get to read the article, do you have any other options I could try?

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dessa,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Check for New Windows updates including optional one and see if it helps. 

Windows Update helps keep your computer up to date with the latest system updates and drivers. You can check Windows Update manually to help ensure you have the latest updates.

1. Hit Windows Key and type
  2. Type Windows Updates
  3.  Click on Windows Updates
  4. Click on Check for updates and install the latest windows updates.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check:

1. Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Right click on Task Bar and select Task Manager.
  2. Click File > Run New Task
  3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
  4. Type CMD
  5. Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
  6. Close the CMD window

Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for these options: Windows Update was already current, so I tried Method 2 above. Some of the Powershell failed, including one item labelled "visual elements". I rebooted, and regretfully it still refreshes perhaps once every minute. I have checked for the Background being some form of short slideshow, but the refresh upsets File Explorer if I have one File Explorer window open at the time of refresh (the window is lost, and any viewing changes are lost as well). So I wonder if there is some strange fault or interaction with File Explorer?  Any further ideas/help welcomed! I don't want to have to revert this laptop (gen 2 intel i5 / Intel 3000-series graphics) to Windows 7.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for these options: Windows Update was already current, so I tried Method 2 above. Some of the Powershell failed, including one item labelled "visual elements". I rebooted, and regretfully it still refreshes perhaps once every minute. I have checked for the Background being some form of short slideshow, but the refresh upsets File Explorer if I have one File Explorer window open at the time of refresh (the window is lost, and any viewing changes are lost as well). So I wonder if there is some strange fault or interaction with File Explorer?  Any further ideas/help welcomed! I don't want to have to revert this laptop (gen 2 intel i5 / Intel 3000-series graphics) to Windows 7.

`I have the same problem and I am desperate!. I was running Windows 7 and was very happy with it. I then upgraded to windows 8, and hated it. It took me sometime to go back to Windows 7, and last month I started having problems with Windows 7. I figured Microsoft wants to encourage all users of W7 to Windows 10. I tried to resist it, but finally gave up. It took me 3 days(!) to do the upgrde, with perhaps 50 times that I had to reboot, and finally it worked. But since than, I have lots of small and big problems. The biggest one is exactly as described here, where my screen refreshes every few seconds, and shuts down some open programs and does other funny things.

I run of ideas, and I hope that I don't have to change operating system all together (Apple?!)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your concern on Microsoft Community.

It seems that the issue occurs due to any third party application conflict.

I suggest you to start you system in safe mode and check if the issue persist. If in safe mode, issue didn’t persist then, perform a clean boot and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

Step 1: To start your system in safe mode with Networking, follow the below steps:

1. Press and hold Shift key and restart your Computer.

2. Select Troubleshoot.

3. Select Advance Option.

4. Select Startup Settings.

5. Follow the on Screen instruction.

6. Select Safe mode with Networking, from the list of options

Step 2: Perform Clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh Kumar Rai.
Microsoft Support Engineer.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

`I have the same problem and I am desperate!. I was running Windows 7 and was very happy with it. I then upgraded to windows 8, and hated it. It took me sometime to go back to Windows 7, and last month I started having problems with Windows 7. I figured Microsoft wants to encourage all users of W7 to Windows 10. I tried to resist it, but finally gave up. It took me 3 days(!) to do the upgrde, with perhaps 50 times that I had to reboot, and finally it worked. But since than, I have lots of small and big problems. The biggest one is exactly as described here, where my screen refreshes every few seconds, and shuts down some open programs and does other funny things.

I run of ideas, and I hope that I don't have to change operating system all together (Apple?!)

I got desperate and called Microsoft UK Tech Support, and eventually had the laptop taken over by the second-level analyst. He essentially went through the options I had already gleaned from online, including the above (and below) recommendations: note that on Safe Boot/Mode it still did the desktop refresh every minute or so, so the problem presumably wasn't in a local driver or app. Tech Support advised me to revert to Win 7 and try again, but by that stage I had lost the ability to do so, so I re-installed Win10 clean, but chose to keep files, but lose settings and apps.  This worked a treat (and obviously retained the Win10 licence as well), although I had to set it all up again and also re-install apps and Office2013 H&S. So there clearly is a residual problem with the upgrade, but at least there is a mechanism to complete the process for some folk.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying back with the status of this issue.

Feel free to post us if you need any assistance with Windows. We'll be glad to assist you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the same problem as others in this thread are expressing.  I ran the commands above and below is the result I received.  The screen is still refreshing once a minute.

Time                      ID           Message
----                      --           -------
2/3/2016 6:22:46 PM       301          The calling process is PowerShell.exe
2/3/2016 6:22:46 PM       603          Started deployment Register operation on a package with main parameter:
                                       AppXManifest.xml and Options: 0. See
                                       http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app
                                       deployment issues.
2/3/2016 6:22:47 PM       10002        Creating Resiliency File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\71d7ff60
                                       -a6a1-4561-85e3-436ae9286127_S-1-5-21-2578716178-3151779487-547035110-1000_5.rsl
                                       c for Register Operation on Package
                                       Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.
2/3/2016 6:22:47 PM       607          Deployment Register operation on package
                                       Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy has been
                                       de-queued and is running for user Jericho-PC\Jericho.
2/3/2016 6:22:47 PM       613          Adding uri to the list of Uris:
                                       C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppXManifest.xml.
2/3/2016 6:22:47 PM       419          error 0x80004004: Unable to install because the following apps need to be
                                       closed Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI.
2/3/2016 6:22:47 PM       605          The last successful state reached was StageUserDataProcessed. Failure occurred
                                       before reaching the next state PackagesInUseClosed.
2/3/2016 6:22:47 PM       401          Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package
                                       Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from:
                                       (AppXManifest.xml)  failed with error 0x80073D02. See
                                       http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app
                                       deployment issues.
2/3/2016 6:22:47 PM       404          AppX Deployment operation failed for package
                                       Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy with error
                                       0x80073D02. The specific error text for this failure is: error 0x80004004:
                                       Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed
                                       Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI.

I really do not want to go back to Win 7 but this refreshing is a real pain.

Thanks for your help

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Freeda,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.  
We apologize for not being able to address your concern in a timely manner.

This issue could occur due to the corrupted or incompatible display adaptor device driver or due to the corrupted Windows system files on your system. 

Let’s try to refer to the suggestions provided by Eeshwar Kumar replied on December 10, 2015, to fix your issue. 

If the issue still persists, try to refer to the suggestions provided by Anup Karkal replied on December 2, 2015,to fix your issue.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/pc-continues-to-refresh/38171b33-9097-46fa-946f-a56fd840b688

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.