Windows 10: Scanning and repairing drive (c): 0% complete

Hello

I've recently been browsing a number of posts and none of them are quite like this situation.

Yesterday, during a game, my Acer Laptop N series decided to freeze. I performed an emergency shutdown and turned it back on. All that appeared in the first few instances was a screen that had the windows logo and a buffering logo. A few restarts later, it moves onto a solution attempt that says "Repairing disk errors, this may take over an hour" in which a few hours later, it restarts and moves onto the screen "Scanning and repairing drive (c:): 0%" for a few more hours.

After sometime, the blue screen will appear but I haven't had the chance to catch the information stated. Then, the whole process starts again. 

Any suggestions on how to solve this are welcomed and I'll supply more information if needed.

Carl

Start your Laptop, then just after the Manufacturers logo disappears and Windows 10 tries to boot, press and hold the power button down for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down

Do this Twice

On the third boot attempt, Windows will boot into the Windows 10 Repair Environment, from there you can access Startup Recovery, Safe Mode, Command Prompt . . . etc

To stop the repeated disk checking, go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Command Prompt

Enter this Command (Replacing C with drive letter of disk being scanned) and hit enter

chkntfs /x c:

Unplug all USB devices, especially a Wireless mouse receiver and reboot

If Windows does not start normally, repeat the process to enter the Windows Recovery Environment and see if you have a restore point that you can revert your system to - Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - System Restore

If you do not have a restore point, try the Safe Mode option  - Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Startup Settings, reboot and press 4

I Hope this Helps!

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply. 

I've attempted to open the windows repair environment. However, it fails to load any kind of window where I can access startup recovery.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, if you cannot get into the Repair Environment by the method above, your only other option is to boot from Windows 10 Installation Media and select Repair My PC

If you do not have Windows 10 Installation Media Click HERE to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO, create Installation media on either a Flash Drive (min 4GB) or DVD

Then, Boot your PC from the Installation Media you just created (change Boot Order in your BIOS)

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2024 Views 5,138 Applies to: