Windows 10 RSoD

I see that lots of people have reported this problem and I've read zillions of replies and suggested ways to fix it, but so far nothing has worked for me.  I did the free upgrade from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Pro through the icon in my taskbar.  Everything worked fine for the first 24 hours.  I put my computer to sleep at the end of the night and when I woke it up the next day it had a red flashing screen with the loading circle of dots just spinning.

I tried rebooting but after the first two Window panels and the piano riff, it goes right to the RSoD.  I can't get to my desktop.  I booted in Safe Mode and tried to uninstall the two new programs that I installed after the upgrade but only 1 uninstall was successful - the other program showed a message that said some components couldn't be uninstalled.

I ran sfc/ scannow and it said everything is fine.  I tried a clean boot, msconfig, services and the whole process of checking/unchecking boxes and restarting.  Got down to one service checked and still have the problem.  Rechecked all the boxes except that one and rebooted but still have the problem.

Tried to do a System Restore or a System Image - did both the night before I upgraded - but Windows 10 can't find the files.  Says I don't have any system images or restore points, but I do. Tried to access the drive they're on (external drive) and it won't let me access it.

I don't want to wipe the PC.  Is there anything else I can do?  The problem doesn't exist in Safe Mode.

Question Info

Last updated December 25, 2018 Views 392 Applies to:

It probably can't see the external drive in Safe Mode.  Maybe you can disable everything that runs after Startup via msconfig and then gain access to the external drive for the Restore.  Do you have a Windows 10 install on USB or DVD that you can boot with to run Repair?

You may also be able to create a recoverydrive USB on another computer with Windows 10.  Just type recoverydrive in Cortana search and have an empty small USB flash drive to use.  If you uncheck system files, you only need a 512MB USB stick.

EDIT:  I am also thinking that your Restore points and System Image are for Windows 7, so you might have to re-install that to make any use of them (if you have to).  If you do choose this, you could then put Windows 10 install on a USB stick and upgrade that way.  Since sleep mode may have been an issue, you could disable all power management until you are certain that Windows 10 has installed all of the needed drivers for your device.

Don

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

HI,

If you need a disk. More troubleshooting in the next message.

Use the Media Creation Tool to download the ISO then make a bootable
USB or DVD. Download as if for another computer.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - create media then
boot with it.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html

OR use this method :

How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.       
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Troubleshoot blue screen errors
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

We can analyze the minidumps if you make them available from the OneDrive
or other file
sharing sites (such as MediaFire). If you have problems uploading
the minidumps copy them to the Desktop or the Documents folder and upload
them from there.

Adding files to your OneDrive
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/getting-started-onedrive-tutorial

Upload photos and files
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/add-photos-files

One-Drive - Share files and folders and change permissions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/share-file-folder

Zip or upload the contents of C:\Windows\minidump

Use OneDrive to upload collected files

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Sorry this didn't help.

So if I go back to my previous version of Windows to fix the problem, can I then re-upgrade to,Windows 10 for free?

Sorry this didn't help.

Once you have upgraded a device from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 and Windows 10 has been activated on it, it gets registered with Microsoft's activation servers as a licensed Windows 10 device.  Any future clean installs to that same device should activate based on it's "Digital Entitlement" to run Windows 10, without any need for a unique Product Key.

There is a way that was discovered to save your activation status in a file, just in case, if you want.  There have been some times when a Windows 10 licensed device did not auto-activate after a clean install of Windows 10.

http://betanews.com/2015/08/31/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-the-easy-way-no-upgrade-required/

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

I decided to just give up on Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7 using the built in function they have in Windows 10 for doing that, so I started my computer in safe mode and told it to go back to Windows 7.

After it finished, I had the Windows 7 blue screen with the flowers/vines on it and a message saying that Windows couldn't start properly.  I realized that I still had all the startup functions disabled from my repair attempt in Win 10 - forgot to turn them back on before reverting.  Don't know if that's the problem or not, so tried to start in safe mode again to turn them back on, but now I can't even start in safe mode.  Every time I try, I get a blue screen full of information that I can't read fast enough before it disappears, but the top line says that an error occurred and it's shutting down my computer to avoid damage.  If I choose start Windows normally, it fails and takes me to the advanced repair options, which all fail.  When I tried to restore wih a system image, it found the drive but gave me a message that there was a error enumerating the backups. 

I've been trying my hardest to resolve the problem without having to reset my PC, but it seems like that's my only choice.  The problem now is that Windows 7 doesn't give me that option like Windows 10 did.  Windows 10 had a box in the advanced repair options to click on for resetting that said I could choose to keep or discard my files.  I want to keep them, but the entire "reset this PC" option doesn't come up in Win 7 repair options.

I'm just an average home PC user - this is all pretty much greek to me.  What do I do now?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you can create a Windows 10 install on a USB stick/flash drive, you might be able to fix things with that.  If you can boot your computer with that USB, on the first screen should be the option:  Repair your computer.

You might also be able to fix things with a Windows 7 DVD if you have that and can boot from the DVD.  I would have to look up the options, but it might be obvious by following through the choices after you boot with the DVD.

Don

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.