Windows 10 Randomly Closing Programs

I was having an issue where Win 10 would just randomly close anything that was open and take me back to desktop. This would happen with office 2016 programs, browsers, other software and games. Every thread relating to this on this forum had the same answers such as run SFC or do a repair to Windows and usual not very helpful answers and they had all been closed so you couldn't post against them. 

The issue was that nobody had realistically answered the questions and I was still having this issue right up to the end of July 2019. However, I now seem to have resolved this issue as the random closing of programs seems to have stopped.

Every thread seemed to have people talking about 'out of memory' warnings popping up but, I wasn't getting those so I largely ignored them but try as I might I couldn't resolve the issue. I tried graphics drivers and all sorts of updates and fixes to no avail. Then I thought about these memory errors and looked into my memory setup on my computer. I always set my virtual memory (swap file) to custom and because of that I never checked it but, I decided to go and have a look. All I can assume is that some Microsoft update had changed this back to 'Automatically manage paging file for all drives' and it wasn't set to custom any longer. So, I moved the paging file to a second drive and allocated it lots of space (5000 - 30000) and I haven't had one crash since.

If you are having trouble finding the Paging File setup, then right click 'This PC' and select properties. In the window that appears select 'Advanced System Settings' and in the new window that appears select the 'Advanced' tab. Then under 'Performance' select 'Settings' and in the new window select the 'Advanced' tab again. Under 'Advanced' you will see the 'Virtual Memory' area then select 'Change'. Be careful and if you don't know what you are doing make a note so you can go back to the original settings.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 3, 2020 Views 60 Applies to: