Windows 10 PC Running Very Slow....Suddenly

Laptop model: Dell Precision M4800

Memory: 8 G

Processor: i5-4340M 2.90 Ghz

HD: 465 GB

PC is up to date

Issue: My PC is suddenly running extremely slow.  From launching an application (Outlook, Chrome, etc.) to right-clicking....it's just very slow.  It was fine before Monday 1/4/16.  Nothing was installed and prior to then, everything I did was routine. This is very weird.  Here are the things I've tried:

Anti-Malware Bytes: Full Scan - No problems detected

Windows Defender: Full Scan - No problems detected

Looked at my resolution monitor - Certain process, I've noticed, spike up and causes 90 - 100% disk usage.  

- e.g. Service Host: Local System

It's hard to track all processes or pin point since they go up and down...if that makes sense.  

I've done a restore point: Same issue - PC is sluggish

I've updated some of my drivers: All like audio - but most are "up to date" according to my PC.

I checked my Sync Center to make sure it syncs only once a month.

I've checked installed programs, nothing there.

I did a Dell Diagnostic from the bios....no problems with anything (Memory, CPU, HD...all are ok).

Please let me know if you have any ideas on what I can check on next?  I am thinking it's a driver issue but which one....

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

Is your PC up to date with Windows Updates?

Suggest you to troubleshoot the issue by taking your PC into Clean Boot State. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program. Follow the below mentioned steps to perform Clean Boot:

a. Press Windows Key, type msconfig in the search box, and hit Enter.

b. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.

c. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

d. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

e. Close Task Manager.

f. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer. Now see if it makes any difference in system performance. If it does, then the likely cause of the issue might be a service or a driver.

If a service is causing issue, I suggest you turn on 5 services at a time, reboot and then see if the problem reappears, keep repeating this until you find a group of 5 services, which are causing this issue, then check the one by one, till you find the one which is causing your issue. Perform the same divide and apply for Startup's too.

Refer the below article on "How to Perform Clean Boot". As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching step for 'System Configuration', options and steps to Clean Boot are same for Windows 10.

Note: After you finish troubleshooting, refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same article.

Keep us posted how it went.

61 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Suggest you to troubleshoot the issue by taking your PC into Clean Boot State. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program. Follow the below mentioned steps to perform Clean Boot:

b. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.

c. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

d. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

e. Close Task Manager.

f. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer. Now see if it makes any difference in system performance. If it does, then the likely cause of the issue might be a service or a driver.

If a service is causing issue, I suggest you turn on 5 services at a time, reboot and then see if the problem reappears, keep repeating this until you find a group of 5 services, which are causing this issue, then check the one by one, till you find the one which is causing your issue. Perform the same divide and apply for Startup's too.

Refer the below article on "How to Perform Clean Boot". As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching step for 'System Configuration', options and steps to Clean Boot are same for Windows 10.

Note: After you finish troubleshooting, refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same article.

I tried one last thing before I saw your post; I updated my graphics driver.  There was no indication (that I saw or noticed) that the graphic driver was out of date.  Even though I checked for updates through the device manager, there actually was an update; I found out by using Dell's Command Update application.  Now my PC works.  

Thank you for the reply.  In the future, I will definitely keep what you said in mind if not a driver issue.

-Robert

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Robert,

Apology for the delay in response.

I appreciate your effort in fixing this issue. Nice to hear that the things are working fine now.

Keep us posted if you require any assistance with windows.

Thank you.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

e. Close Task Manager.

I have finished step f, then I tried to reboot the system, but there is no login info on the login page.  I went through Dell, he cannot fix the problem.  Can you help me to fix this?  Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me. 

~ Kitty

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wanted to say that I have done this to no avail. I even scrapped Mcafee files, that msconfig let open if you follow these instructions to the letter. And the computer still is slowed to a halt when Task Manager (detailled view showing processes) is open. 

To test it, after restart, I launch Task Manager (or let it relaunch automatically if it was open before restart) and I fire browsers, each with about a dozen tabs predefined. One browser, no problem. Two browsers, I can notice something in the way the mouse is moving, but just for a few seconds. Three browsers, good bye. The only command I have left is the power button. 

I have tried many things for weeks now, but today I really scrapped everything. All non-Microsoft services and all start-ups (even Microsoft's ones) (and of course restarted the PC). The problem is the same, exactly, than with everything loaded/enabled. 

An sfc/scannow indicates no integrity violations.  

Windows 10 Pro 64 1079 16299.192

Intel i9 7940X 128 GB RAM

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I try now to replicate the problem on my Asus Transformer.

msconfig, hide all Microsoft items, disable all, startup, all disabled manually, restart. Launch Task Manager, detailled view, processes. Launch Chrome. OK. Launch Firefox. Good bye, machine dead. Exactly the same effect, happening just a bit sooner. 

Windows 10 Pro 64 1709 16299.192

Intel i7 7500U

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I now take my older Asus laptop, just as it is, with all third-party stuff. Launch Task Manager, detailled view with processes. Launch Chrome, OK. Launch Firefox, OK. Launch Edge, OK. Launch Internet Explorer, OK. No problem at all. 

Windows 10 Family 64 1709 16299.192

Intel i7 4710HQ 

This would suggest that there is something wrong in Windows 10 PROFESSIONAL. 

Is there a way to downgrade without resetting the system? 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After 1709 update same thing like stirring thick goo

tired of these large updates and the time it takes 

Zorin is looking good...

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try adjusting your Pagefile settings like described here - TeckLyfe - Fix Windows 10 Slow

Lots of Windows 10 users have had a good speed increase by adjusting their pagefile. 

You want to manually manage your pagefile and set your min and max to the recommended value. Your min and max should be the same number. 

Rob Russell
IT Pro, Microsoft Insider, Triathlete

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, thank you. I had tried that too, rather out of despair as I have 128GB RAM on this machine. It didn't help. But I can say that I have been fine since then with Win 8.1. It also solved performance problems with Adobe software (Creative Cloud). 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 131,171 Applies to: