Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies

Windows 10 may freeze after installing the Anniversary Update - Updated 8-31-16

Basith M asked on

Updated (8/31/16):

After the launch of the Anniversary Update for Windows 10, Microsoft received a small number of reports of Windows 10 freezing when signing into Windows after installing the Anniversary Update.  With the help of users and MVP’s who posted on this thread an investigation determined that a small fraction of users who had moved app information to a second logical drive could encounter this issue.

The Windows Update released on August 31st for Windows 10 includes a fix for this issue.  This update is automatically applied when installing the Anniversary Update.

If you still have the Anniversary Update installed and are experiencing this issue, and are a user who has two logical drives and has moved their app data to a second drive, please follow the steps listed in the ‘Answer’ of this post to resolve your issue.

If you uninstalled Windows 10 or the Anniversary Update because of this issue, we recommend you re-install now using the Windows Update Assistant by going to the Windows 10 download page and clicking the Update Now button.

Basith M

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)
2271 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Yaqub K replied on

Hi,

If you still have the Anniversary Update installed and are experiencing this issue, and are a user who has two logical drives and has moved their app data to a second drive, then you can resolve this issue by using one of these options:

Option 1: If you have a second administrator account on the PC that you can sign into, please do so and install the latest Windows 10 update, released on August 31st, 2016.  After installing the update, reboot the PC and you should be able sign in successfully on your other account.

Option 2: Use the “go back” feature to uninstall the Anniversary Update.  Once removed, you can re-install using the Windows Update Assistant by going to the Windows 10 download page and clicking the Update Now button.
There are two methods to uninstall the Anniversary Update:

Method 1: Using the Recovery Console

1.      Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart.
2.      After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Go back to the previous build.  If you don’t see this option, try Method 2.

Method 2: Using the Settings app from Safe Mode

1.      Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart.
2.      After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
3.      After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.
4.      Open the Settings app.
5.      Select Update & security and then the Recovery tab.
Under “Go back to an earlier build”, click the Get started button and follow the instructions.

Option 3: If you are uncomfortable with either of the earlier options or if the “go back” feature is not available to you, please contact support and one of our support agents can assist you in applying the resolution.

Thanks,
Yaqub Khan
74 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
BeverlyBroome replied on

NOOOOOO, I'm not about to do as suggested or use Recovery to an earlier build, YET anyway, and I surely will not go do a Recovery - which makes it as it was from the Factory and all my work and programs deleted.  If I go back to Windows 7 then I will go back there permanently-if I can't make Windows 10-work to a much better degree than it was when downloaded,  giving us 1/2 the functions and none of the help we need - what a Frikkkking mess this program is, and a mess you have made of Windows program, in general.  I'm not about to go through this again - after working for weeks to get my IE and Edge and other programs somewhat working and so many changes made-that did not allow my system to work when updated, and had to reinstall programs that became corrupted or make updates to other programs due to and so that they would work with Win-10 to accommodate the tremendous changes that Windows 10 caused my Windows7 system, I am NOT about to remove Windows 10 and all the work I have had to perform into getting this horrible version of Windows somewhat working, There are SO many things that Windows does not do anymore, your can't do anymore, you don't even get Help & support as part of your Windows system - it's all  piecemeal on the internet and a help system where you have to know the answer in order to find the problem or pose a question that will bring up the right result... that is absolutely stupid.  Why can't you provide a help & support program as always... that is usable ??  AND in Windows 7 I had full Administrative ability but Windows 10 make it only for local, now I can not even run a sfc /scannow to check my system as that requires admin abilities, which I had - but not for this/other needs, - that Windows 10 took from me...  and I cannot create another Admin or Any position, and my system can't be modified or scanned by me, NOW due to the changes it made to MY System, advising me this and many other things I cannot do anymore, it's above my allowed abilities that Windows 10 set - when it's my system... I WANT & NEED the Help & Support back on my computer - I WANT, NEED, HAVE to HAVE my Administrative Abilities in FULL Back, I want my games back instead of the horrible games downloaded that deleted my games,  I WANT & NEED the MENU Tool Bar and all capabilities and Options it has on EDGE.  The Settings Tool has problems, RealPlayer does not work with Edge, a lot of programs on my system and on the Net do not work with Edge. Windows 10 makes the simplest of things almost impossible to do, with no info or help to know what to do !!! That is JUST WRONG, I'm so disgusted, put-out and worn-out from dealing with the mess MS has made in Windows 10 - it's just deplorable and unacceptable.  I opted to not get Windows 10 until you had a year to work out your problems and make it a good useable OPS - you didn't you just messed up a perfectly good one, in Windows 7.  Get you act together, fix all the problem you created and put things back like they were with all functions, all account-security privileges we-as Owners of the Computers deserve and need.  Thank you.  Anyone having get-around knowledge for some of these problems - would like to hear solutions you may know of.  Thanks and feel for you knowing you are going through all of this, as well. I did not at first have problems with freezing, but after my 1st auto update it began... now it's really upsetting-and no reason for it I can find, one up-date failed-claims my system was down when it wasn't, & probably the only one I wanted and needed ! After many tedious attempts to find the download and then managed to do it, many more steps and unknowns-all unnecessary they have thrown into updates, and Manually downloaded it and will see if that helps.  Clearly if it's possible to make very simple tasks and functions very hard to impossible - that was their goal.... and they succeeded marvelously at that, and only that !

213 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress