Windows 10 – Intel SGX AESM Platform Services initialization fails due to DAL error on XPS 15 9570

When I run the “CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor” vs. 2.0.3201.0 I receive error # 21205: “The required Intel SGX … wasn’t started.” This renders Ultra HD Blu-ray discs unplayable.

I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 (2018) notebook computer with a 59 Hz UHD IPS @ 3840 x 2160 monitor, BIOS 1.15.0 dated 25Dec2019, released 14Jan2020, 32GB DDR4.

The CPU is an 8th gen. Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.20+ GHz, Coffee Lake chipset, Intel UHD Graphics 630 [driver vs. 25.20.100.7262].

The machine is also equipped with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q board, but Intel is the default GPU.

OS: Windows 10 10.0.18362.628 (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)

[I gather that this = the May 2019 Update, “Version 1903”]

Intel SGX is enabled in the BIOS and set to allocate 128 MB (I notice in the Task Manager that the Intel SGX Application Enclave Services Manager is using between 0.3 MB & 2.5 MB depending on when I look). [No running process has allocated to itself 128 MB of RAM (although arguably SGX RAM isn’t listed here).]

The Windows Device Manager, under “System devices” lists the 'Intel Software Guard Extensions Device' (driver 2.5.100.2 dated 9/19/2019) – there are no flags; the device is working properly.

Prior to an Intel driver update, the “Intel SGX Application Enclave Service (AESM)” was shown to be running.

Currently, the “Intel SGX AESM” service is listed as running.

According to the Event Viewer’s SGX/Diagnostic informational entries, the AESM Service PSW vs. is 2.5.101.3 (this is Intel’s latest release, dated 11/22/2019).

SERVICE STATUS – On this notebook, it occurred exactly ONCE (out of 1,758 events) in the Event Viewer, SGX/Admin event log that a “Critical” error happened described as “AESMService: SGX is Disabled at AESM Service startup”. Since this only happened once, I don’t see it as highly significant.

However, there are frequent “Warning”s to the effect that “AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error”. {DAL = Dynamic Application Loader (the DAL HIS is installed by the Intel Management Engine installer)}Most log entries say, “AESMService: Platform Services initializing” OR “AESM Service started”. Unfortunately, it appears to be the case that the most recent entryin the event list is typically an initialization failure warning … so I seem to be perpetually in a non-operative state, even though the service is listed as running,

ACTIONS – I went to the BIOS and disabled SGX, restarted, tested, went back to the BIOS, re-enabled SGX, retested, all to no avail.

I keep my system updated and nothing appears to be amiss with the Intel Management Engine. Nevertheless, I downloaded and did a repair installation of Dell’s package “Intel Management Engine Components Installer” vs. 1932.12.0.1298 (A04) dated 9Aug19. The “CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor” still fails with error # 21205 and I still get AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL errorevents.

As this point, I am aware of no additional steps I can take. I would have expected that by 2018 issues with Intel SGX (and DAL HIS) would have been sorted.

I notice from the forum that when Windows 10 build 17083 was released, suddenly SGX was no longer operable for many users. Naturally, I wonder if my problem is a Windows issue as well.

I purchased this painfully top-dollar Microsoft-based Ultra HD notebook with every expectation that I would be able to play Ultra HD video on it, but I am stymied.

What should I do now?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Can you provide the following information which may help determine any issue(s):

Windows Key + R > type msinfo32 in the "Open" box > OK > File > Save > then save as an .nfo file

Then make the resulting .nfo file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

Also, can you do the following:

Windows Key + R > type eventvwr in the "Open" box > OK > expand "Custom Views" and then right-click "Administrative Events" > select "Save all events in Custom View As" and save as an .evtx file

Then make the resulting .evtx file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

Here's a link on using OneDrive:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

OK, done.  Here is the link to the folder containing the documents:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArVj1_mLSrSvhFQjr8FX7NFPCb-n?e=4PXiSY

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you able to provide the ..nfo file?

The .nfo file will show the configuration of all services as it may be a service configuration issue such as a network configuration issue.

One thing I might suggest is to disable Fast Startup as the Event System Log shows a repetitive issue with Fast Startup:

Kernel-Boot - Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-o...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry; forgot to put the .nfo file into OneDrive.  Done.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It does not look like a service configuration issue but rather the issue is with the install of the needed components or something is interfering with the functioning of the components.

Has this ever worked?

Here's a warning from the Event Application Log concerning LMS:

LMS - The description for Event ID 2122 from source LMS cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Can go here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS

In that folder can you right-click the LMS.exe > Properties > Details

What is the "File version"?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

May have worked when the notebook came out of the box; unfortunately I have never had occasion to inspect SGX activity or the Intel Management Engine before.

The file vs. of LMS.exe is 1928.12.0.1287, dated 8/5/2019.  It is reasonable that this would be a recent version, as I recently installed Dell's Intel Management Engine package vs. 1932.12.0.1298_A04.

I wish I could inspect some other Windows 10 machines to see if they have AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL errorevents.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome for the help.

What I might suggest is to uninstall both Intel Management Engine Components and SGX install (Software Guard Extensions) via Apps and Features.

Then install the Intel Software Guard Extensions Platform Software and Intel Management Engine Components Installer that are available from Dell for the computer.

The Intel Software Guard Extensions Platform Software driver from Dell appears to be an older version ( 1.9.100.41172) than the one now installed and may work better.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don’t see how I can do that. In the Windows dialog “Apps & features”, “Intel Management Engine Components” (323 MB, dated 2/16/2020) is present, but Intel Software Guard Extensions Platform Software is not present in the list. Consequently, I cannot uninstall the latter (not from here, anyway).

I could certainly uninstall “Intel Management Engine Components”, but after such an action I would normally reboot before installing afresh, but I don’t want to do anything that will render my notebook unbootable, so I am squeamish about that,

As regards Dell’s older version of Intel’s Software Guard Extensions Platform possibly working better, I installed Microsoft’s latest release [https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Intel(R)%20Software%20Guard%20Extensions%20Platform%20Software%20Component] specifically BECAUSE the original Dell version wasn’t working; thus, I don’t have much hope that going back to the old version would be helpful.

Notice here how using the latest version from Intel saved the bacon for these people: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-sgx-driver-not-working-with-windows-10-1709/1d57f440-4a14-4606-8e33-1a8133dd1241

Re. LMS (Intel Local Management Service … also seen labeled as “Local Manageability Service”), I cannot find that anyone else on the planet gets a “Event ID 2122 from source LMS cannot be found” error; that’s disheartening. Leaves me completely bewildered.

I suspect that LMS is installed with Intel(R) Management Engine Components.

In Services, I see that LMS.exe is running under the name “Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service”, so there is no issue with LMS not being present. (In Task Manager, LMS is also listed as a running Process,)

I would like to fix the LMS error, but the only thing I know to do is to reinstall Intel(R) Management Engine Components, and I have already done that,

Do you have any contacts at Microsoft with whom you could consult regarding the AESM DAL error? This has left my current project at a complete standstill.  Actually, EVERYTHING is at a standstill, as I have been working on this and nothing much else for about 5 days.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe you could go ahead and install the Intel Software Guard Extensions Platform Software driver from Dell without uninstalling anything.

I don't have a contact at Microsoft for this but I might suggest to post on the Intel SGX forum as the issue involves that platform:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-s...

As I mentioned before the issue could be something blocking, for instance a network issue as suggested by this warning in the Event Application Log:

AESMService - AESMService: White List update failed due to network error

This link mentions the network requirements:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-s...

In the following link from Cyberlink for Error 21205 states

"4. Ensure PowerDVD is not blocked/redirected by antivirus/firewall software protection, and allow PowerDVD to access Internet connection for Intel SGX online verification/activation."

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.d...

Consider temporarily uninstalling Avast (use Windows built-in security software) or check that Avast in not blocking SGX.

Note: The above are non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I’ve been working on this for over a week now and haven’t made an inch of progress.

As you suggested, I disabled both Avast anti-virus and the Windows Firewall, so nothing is blocking network access; the SGX test still fails.

Thank you for the networking link https://github.com/intel/linux-sgx/blob/master/psw/ae/data/constants/linux/default_url_info.hh. I don’t see any point in adding these URLs to the firewall since the test won’t work with the firewall disabled. There is actually no discussion here of setting up a network proxy, so it is unclear if that is needed.

I tried posting on the Intel forum as you suggested. Their response was that Dell provides Intel drivers and it is Dell’s responsibility to make them work. They wouldn’t offer a particle of help.

For their part, Dell says the fingerprint reader requires SGX and since the fingerprint reader is working they were not willing to do anything. They specifically were not willing to help diagnose the AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error” events. So that leaves me with no support from anyone, anywhere.

How does one get support from Microsoft? Can one buy it? Must one hire a Microsoft certified technician? How does one go about it?

There must be millions of people with problems with Windows, and I rarely see solutions on offer here on the forum (just problems like mine with no solution). How, then, do most people get help?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2021 Views 3,689 Applies to: