Windows 10 high cpu usage by "Music Application"

I noticed the last few days that my computer was slowing way down at times. I looked under Task Manager > Processes > and it's always "Music Application" using 40-70% of the CPU. I follow this to Details and it is "Music.UI.exe" I never play music on my pc but I do have music on it to access from the home theater. This just started about 5 days or so ago. I switched my default music app to Windows Media Player but that does not help. I can "end task" and it stops for a few minutes to a few hrs but always comes back on. The only updates I can find have nothing to do with the music player and were simply cumulative, malicious software removal and Adobe Flash updates but I don't know enough to say if it could or could not be one of them. It has gone as far as to lock the system up requiring a wait of 3-5 minutes before ctrl+alt+del brings up the troubleshooter screen to use task manager. I thought about uninstalling Groove Music but do not think it would help and couldn't anyway without using cmd prompt or PowerShell. I couldn't find any other threads about this but if someone knows of one please point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance

Question Info

Last updated October 21, 2018 Views 9,184 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

never mind, found it

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Settings ->    Privacy ->    Background Aps:

Turn OFF Groove Music and any other little used applications

Exactly how do you turn it off?  I see no such setting. 

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the right answer...
"JoeMaine replied on
Settings ->    Privacy ->    Background Aps:

Turn OFF Groove Music and any other little used applications"

But once again, this is evidence that the person making design decisions at Microsoft... Is a Uni taught Mac user!
Why would any real Windows user, want these crappy apps running in the background "by default"?
(being pre-loaded into RAM, 'just in case')
I don't know anyone who would want this!

On top of that, they burry the setting to turn this off, deep inside (right at the bottom) of the Privacy settings?
Nobody would think to look there, to disable these apps, or to stop them from being "pre-loaded".

I use Windows Media Player, or VLC, like any normal Windows user does...
Why would I want some limp app named "groovy music app" indexing my 80+ GB of music files, in the background... maxing out my CPU and Hard drive usage?

Could a Microsoft Dev please answer that... or are they too busy playing with their I-Phones?

@Windows users... Mark my post as helpful, if you want the developers to stop treating us like Mac users!       

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It happens to me with Music and Photos. I can notice the apps are running when the CPU fan starts.. There is a solution for this: Turn on or turn off Groove Music (and others too) run in Background.

Go to settings, then Privacy, then Background apps, then click TURN OFF to Groove Music. it will prevent Groove Music to run in the background without your consent.

I hope it helps. it did to me.

All the best

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think you should assume that the only way to solve  problems with Windows 10 is to do a clean installation of the OS.  That would be very sad indeed after all these years of having Microsoft using the user community to perfect their OS.

As FYI, I am having the same problem since I reimaged my laptop with Windows 10.  Please research and find a proper solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

So did I.... really annoying !!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I got rid of this annoyance by Uninstalling the Zune software.

Sorry this didn't help.

What I want and what i get is getting farther and farther apart.If I play a game online I dont need a machine asking me or tying up my cpu til the very reason i'm on it  wont work.Sure for many they like the helpful hints ands all but i'm old school you want something you assk you dont assume anything and that what windows is becoming,services after services,its to the point that i just turn them off completely, and I would have revo ininstaller do its thing if i could find it,i am that upset right nows there is know way the avg user can be sure if the file or service it critical to the system till you delete it or turn it off and thats just plain wrong. its bad enough the gov want to play "Big Brother" I really dont need a company trying to do the same. **** I cant even keep the damn sysnic form putting both desktops on my machines the same. I put them on there for a reason its getting to the point the system software is more harmful to my physical and mental well being than any of the viruses on the net

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

JoeMaine great tip to turn off Groove Music in Background Apps and i have done this.

I have another suggestion for those that don't want to do this. I got the problem of Music.UI.exe continuous cpu usage after the very 1st time i started Groove Music (accidently clicked on an mp3 and default music app started) but i closed the program after only about a minute cos i decided i didnt want to use it as i prefer another music player. In Taskmanager I noticed that Music.UI.exe kept running even though i had closed Groove Music so i terminated the process manually and rebooted my pc.
After reboot i saw Music.UI.exe process usineg cpu even though i hadn't even started Groove Music so again i terminated the process manually in Taskmanager.
I had a thought that because i originally closed Groove Music down after only about minute the 1st time i used it that it might have been trying to do some initial setup and it may not have completed. I decided to start Groove Music and of course Music.UI.exe was loaded and using 10-20% cpu so i just left running for a few minutes and after a while it remained loaded but not using any cpu and as soon as i closed Groove Music the process was also terminated. So Groove Music and process Music.UI.exe are now running ok.
My OS is latest (Oct2016 updates) Win10 Home 1607 64bit on Dell Inspiron 15R laptop, intel i7, 8GB Ram.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don tmind testing windows 10 for Microsoft its fun and I learn thingd,but there getting too much into my personal life and it bugs me to no end I don't need a machine to ask me anything or do what it thinks is best. I just want a reliable system I can access the web from any of my machine without homegroups or such and I defiantly want a button to turn off all the services when I'm playing a game online.

100%  use on one core???? music.ui.exe as well as other services is costing me games and money,and that should not be what this company becomes know for.
brian goguen

Sorry this didn't help.