Windows 10 hangs then freezes after waking from sleep

I have had the same computer with Windows 10 for almost a year when it automatically d/l the anniversary update.  Since that update, when the computer wakes from sleep it will work for approx 5 minutes and then programs will begin to freeze.  The mouse will function for another minute or two and then freeze as well.  No BSOD or restart.  Requires a hard restart.  Happens 100% of the time when waking from sleep.

I have-

Updated all drivers

Reinstalled Windows 10

Changed power settings based on multiple other posts

Looking for ideas.  Please don't say it's hardware.  It worked perfectly until an hour after the Anniversary update in August and I've been scouring this board since with no success. 

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2019 Views 23,304 Applies to:

Hi Todd, 

There are several reasons which can cause this error in your computer. One of these is a corrupted or missing system file. You may run the System File Checker to identify and troubleshoot this error.  

You can also follow the steps through Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool to check for any update errors. 

Note: Please perform the Clean boot on your PC. 

Clean Boot temporarily disables all third party applications as well as all Microsoft non-essential services so only basic drivers will run. This will help us find any third-party software which can be the cause of this issue. 

Here are the steps: 

1. From Start, search for msconfig. 

2. Select System Configuration from the search results. 

3. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all. 

4. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager. 

5. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable. 

6. Close Task Manager. 

7. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer. 

Let us see how it goes.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had to replace my laptop harddrive with an SSD, and got the same issue. The computer wouldn't recover from a long idle state no matter the power settings. After weeks of troubleshooting, this solution worked for me:

Device Manager -> Intel Management Engine Interface -> Properties -> Power Management

Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power."

62 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am so glad I found your post. I have this EXACT issue and it is very hard to describe accurately in a Bing (or Google) search. I have been searching for a solution for 3 months to no avail.  I have applied the suggested solution but need to keep working so fingers crossed.

It has been SOOOO frustrating to have things start up normally then have to halt all work in a frozen state until the system decides to resume (without any explanation as to what jsut happened).

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.