Windows 10 February 2018 update is causing problems

My PC did an automatic update this morning which took nearly 2 hours. In completion, I am finding minimised windows are repainting top-down when maximising and I no longer can drag windows across the screens without momentary freezing....

The whole computer is really slow...like it's thinking about things....shouldn't do because it's a oct core I7.

This has annoyed me no end and really don't want these updates anymore because have lost many hours of trying to fix updates :(

is there a fix for this or do I simply roll back to what I had before the update? I wish Microsoft wouldn't do this

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup)

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2018 Views 18,139 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Some of the symptoms described here so far, seem to be relatively mild. This latest windows 10 Feb 2018 update has screwed me up royal!!! The update has gone though windows 10 and changed various settings, which now affect PC's ability to connect to my domain network. In computer properties, the computer is still described as being part of a domain, but when you try to reconnect the pc to a domain network, as you would when joining for the first time, there is no available options to re-join the domain network. The network profile is stuck on private network.

I run Autodesk Vault Pro 2018 software on a server (running Server 2012 R2) and Autodesk Product Design Suite 2018 with network licensing and Vault Pro 2018 client, on workstations (running Windows 10 pro). The moment Windows 10 updated early Feb 2018, network licensing stopped working, Data Management with Autodesk Vault Pro 2018 stopped working. So at the moment, I can't work!!!!

My CAD software vendor has been analysing the issue and has said that it could end costing me upwards of AU$1800, with no guarantees! This will cost me above and beyond my support contract as it is a Windows issue and not a problem with Autodesk software. And, who's to say that if Microsoft decide to stuff things up again, I won't go through all this costly head ache next month, when a new update comes through.

On top of this, I'm running a CNC machine, which is controlled by MACH 3 control software. It has stopped working! Tried compatibility mode, still didn't work. I used the revert to a previous build of Windows 10 option (when this was available, option seems to have disappeared), suddenly the MACH 3 software worked again. Amazing!!!

Annoying thing, Windows 10 force update installs. So each time I go back the CNC computer, I'd have to revert back to the previous windows build, in order to use the CNC machine again, as windows forced update install the night before. Only way I could stop this, was by setting the network connection to "metered connection".

These are just 2 of my main, costly issues with windows 10. There are far more defects and annoyances with Windows 10.

Microsoft, please, please, please, stop shoving sh*t down our throats!!!

This way, I'm gonna have to figure out, how to send the bills for IT and CAD/CAM software support to Microsoft, until Microsoft gets their act together.

At this point, I feel that I've got no other choice, but to revert all my workstations back to Windows 7, which is far more reliable and stable.

I'd gladly pay for Windows 7.

I don't want Windows 10, not even for free!

44 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sir, i do not believe you read the question. I am having a similar issue, contextual menus are not displaying text. This is not the first month patch Tuesday has blown up users pc. You have had known issues with AMD systems, Avast antivirus, Nvidia video drivers. Your testing, qa, and qc have really been lacking. What will it take to correct this issue? I have had issues with clean imaged/installed systems, sirens with minimal apps, and gaming systems. AMD and Intel. You cannot say the update failed because your system has bad files, unless you realize that your updates are causing file issues.

40 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This update has ****** my laptop, it's stupid slow after this update. 

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Si1entWarrior,

Late last year, a Windows 10 update basically rendered my PC useless!!! I turned on the PC after the update and got nothing but a black screen! Try troubleshooting with your eyes closed.

Anyway, after extensive research and weeks of wasting time with a dead PC, I found out that the issue was the GRAPHICS CARD driver was no longer complatible, as it had been with previous builds of Windows 10. My graphics card an nVidia GTX 550 Ti.

I had to force my PC into recovery mode, by hard reseting the computer 3 times (if screen is visible, you can access this by holding SHIFT and clicking on the power button at the log in screen). This then took me into Windows 10 recovery options, which allowed me to start windows in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. I went to the nVidia web site and downloaded a Windows 10 specific driver for my GTX 550 Ti graphics card. Thankfully this rescued my PC from total loss.

If I were you, I would check your graphics card vendors web site for any Windows 10 specific drivers and make sure that your graphics card driver is up to date. I’ve been reading how business’ have been successfully sueing Microsoft for loss of business and disruption to business, because automatic/forced Windows 10 upgrades and updates have been rendering PC’s all over the world useless! Case in point was a travel agent in California. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/27/woman_microsoft_windows_10_upgrades/

By the way, I’ve given up on Windows 10. I’ve had enough!!! I am currently in the process of wiping clean all my PC’s running Windows 10, in order to reinstall Windows 7. Unfortunatelly I have no other choice but to use Windows, because of the Autodesk software I use, otherwise I’d use an alternative to Microsoft.

Good luck with your problems Si1entWarrior!

Your easiest solution to all your issues, is to ditch Windows 10!!!

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Robbie, I cannot see any interactive text. Nothing in dos, contextual menus, dialog boxes. I cannot uninstall av (i noticed when my av product updated, text returned, but it forced a reboot and then no texts again!) I can't see info from sfc or any other diagnostics! I promise it is not mild! I'm seriously thinking of moving 100% to linux. I'm dead in the water!

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Update, for a brief moment text returned. Avast Premier updated and KB 4074588 recognizes it as protecting the system. However, text displayed until the reboot, the following issues are observed:

No text under desktop icons

No text in explorer

When launching any window tool, such as msconfig, the window is narrow and spans so wide

Resizing windows from any edge does not engage

When viewing 'update history' i can view text; HOWEVER, when i click uninstall updates, I cannot see the text, i see the address bar with icon 4 > symbols, in the listing of the patches, all that is visible are the lines that divide the sections.

Time is not displayed on the systray

Time was utc -8, but has finally corrected to actual zone

Windows X does not display text

Windows main menu displays content and icons with text.

CMD opens in tiny window, text is invisible. Typed sfc /scannow no output visible but drive started cranking

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, cmd window opens as small as possible window (not minimized) and no text is displayed. I typed sfc command, it is running; however i cannot see progress, text, anything. Command window is black, yet drive is active as if the command executed. I attempted last three restore points, all have files that fail to extract.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I found a solution to all these Windows 10 issues!

I wiped all my PC’s that had been upgraded to Windows 10 and started fresh with Windows 7.

Everything works great now. Plus I know where all the options are. Unlike Windows 10, where they keep deleting options out, move things around.

Windows 10 has now been changed, so that updates are compulsory and the is no way to roll back to a previous build.

The reality is, that even if you figure out your current issues with Windows 10, chances are next time Microsoft releases a new update, you will end up with new problems, which you’ll need to spend hours trying to figure out, with no garantees of a solution. Question is, how much is your time worth to you? And, how critical are your PC’s to the operation of your business?

Windows 10 is too unstable and unrealiable to be used in a business enviroment.

I’ve seen brand new Dell computers, shipped from factory with Windows 10, do an update overnight and wake up dead an useless!

I’ve decided that enough is enough. Updates are meant to fix problems, not create new ones!!!

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The SFC says,

To run a system file check (SFC)

Go to start>Type CMD

The problem is that since this upgrade, there is no "Start".  In fact I can't access any of the three shortcuts left on the toolbar.  The quality of the text on websites (including this one) has changed to being very thin and spidery, and the CPU seems to be several milliseconds behind the typing I do with hesitations, pauses and gaps.

Here's what I shared on Facebook:

I haven't used my laptop since Monday. Turned it on about 30 mins ago to find that I couldn't sign in, so I decided to restart it. [I have Windows 10 Signature edition]

Suddenly there's a Windows update in progress that appears to be looping, then it stabilises itself. But it's taking ages and then I get this friendly sign, which I've not seen before.

And now nothing looks as it did before. My desktop has been completely rearranged, the background is just black and the icons are flickering. 
Why can't they just leave frigging well enough alone?

Look at this crap! The search bar has disappeared, all the taskbar shortcuts are gone and the three icons left there don't work! FFS, this is not what I need right now.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Damian,

We understand that we need our computer to be completely functional so that we can fully utilize it. There may be an issue with the system files of Windows 10. This can be the reason why you're having an issue with the computer's performance. For us to check if there are any issues with the image and system files of Windows 10, we recommend running the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool, and the System File Checker tool. These tools will scan for system files and image corruption and will also attempt to address those corruptions. To know how to run these tools, follow the steps here.

Kindly update us with the result.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.