• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

Windows 10 Creators Update Installed Now PC Fails to Boot

Antony.Sharp asked on
Windows 10 Creators Update installed apparently correctly. I logged in successfully and read the tips and hints, the PC seemed to function without an issue. However on the next boot my PC failed to get to the login screen. It boots past the BIOS screen but hangs on the windows flag and spinning dots screen. I can't do anything other than shut down the machine. No keyboard commands have any affect. I have re-booted repeatedly without any change. What do I now do?
7 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Sher Amo replied on

Hi Antony,

One of the possible reasons why your PC fails to boot into normal mode are broken components on the boot configuration data of your system. To isolate your concern regarding your Windows 10 Creators Update, we suggest that you perform the following steps to trigger Safe Mode through the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) option. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Improper shutdown process
    • Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the power source of your computer. Perform this step three times.
    • On the fourth time that you turn on your computer, just simply wait for the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) window to appear.
  2. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click Restart.
  3. Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the F4 key to start your computer in Safe Mode.

We also recommend that you perform a system restore after booting into safe mode. This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Right-click the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
  2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.
  3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  4. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress