Windows 10 Creator's update 23 March 2018 ruins several functions

Updated to Windows Creator's edition yesterday - didn't have much choice because it had already started while I was away from the computer for a bit.

I've noticed two things that previously worked perfectly which don't now. The search function in Outlook (the email program) is dead as a door nail. And it's virtually impossible to shift windows/applications by clicking on the application icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

The update also destroys the homegroup and undoes all sharing choices for all folders. It neutralises previous choices with regard to sound options (which input to use, preferred volume etc.).

You'd think retaining these choices would have been child's play for programmers, but they're ignored every single time a major update is rolled out.

I'm going to test whether the latest update (2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4089848)) rectifies the situation, but I doubt it. In which case I'm rolling back to version 1703.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, the cumulative update didn't solve any of the problems, so I reverted to version 1703. Version 1709 forced itself on m today again, but the minute it was finished updating, I reverted to the older version again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Interesting. I was also forced into this update on the same date. Here is what I lost:

1. Mozilla Thunderbird (Mozilla's email client) - gone, including years of emails

2. Mozilla Firefox - my preferred browser - replaced by Edge, a featureless browser

3. McAfee Total Protection - Anti-virus and more, with support for encrypted file systems

4. Quicken - although I think the data is still out there. The link is there but the program is gone

5. TurboTax Business - which I use to pay trust taxes for my late wife's trust. Fortunately, I already filed the taxes

6. TurboTax - to pay my own taxes. I will have to file for an extension.

7. Adobe Reader - better than Edge for handling PDFs

8. Office 2010 - which cost me only $89 for 3 PCs some years back. Now I have to do $99 every year instead

10. Access to my router's configuration page. Edge blocks it.

11. My UPS's monitor, where I used to be able to check power outage history.

12. My scanner's software.

13. My label maker's software, including the P-Touch editor

and the list goes on, and on, ad infinitum. Above is a partial list. I am trying to keep my other two computers from getting this update. I will not leave them on unattended. This is a repeat of how the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was handled a couple of years ago. In that case, I was in the middle of editing something, when the upgrade just took over and started the Windows 10 upgrade. I didn't even have a chance to save the file. Evidently, Microsoft, in their "infinite wisdom" decided I had put it off long enough. 

I will never buy another Windows-based computer.

Rich

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds worse than a nightmare from hell. Did it tell you before it forced itself on your computer that certain programs may not work afterwards? And I'm just wondering, did it perform a clean install while installing he update? Sounds like it did since you've lost so many of your programs, not to mention emails. You could do a search for your emails. I don't know what the suffix is for Thunderbird email files, but it's *.pst for Outlook files. They're usually stored in the user's file on drive C, if that's where you have Windows stored. 

I must say I haven't heard of the new payment (rental) system. Time to start looking for another operating system methinks.

Chris

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the infamous Redstone III upgrade about two weeks ago.  I too lost all Outlook (Office 2016) indexing capability, along with Office updates, which now corrupt and terminate.  Just finished uninstalling Office manually to try and get everything off as I also cannot reinstall Office at all.  On my forth attempt.  MS does not do their homework on these "Feature Upgrades"...  or perhaps all the programmers are now Millennials...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The original method of searching for words/entries in Outlook was "search as you type". After the Creator update, nothing worked, as noted above. I spent a week at least searching for solutions, the one more wierd and complicated (often to the point of incomprehensibility) than the other.

I then decided to do a clean install of Windows - that  turned into another nightmare week. Apparently the downloded installation program was incomplete.

When the installation finally succeeded - thanks to the paid help of a professional computer guy - the search function still didn't work. Then suddenly in frustration I hit the 'enter' key, and the searched for item appeared. It seems as if the "search as you type" function had been knocked out, but not the ability to search.

Now, a couple of weeks later, the "search as you go" function has returned - mysteriously. These things are unexplainable, even to Microsoft engineers I would think. And it's not worth their trouble trying to sort it out. The fewer the people affected by a problem, the smaller the chances anyone's going to do something to fix it. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 9, 2018 Views 349 Applies to: