Windows 10 computer -One Key recovery

My computer  keep telling me that my, "One Key Recovery - Install Shield Wizard. Error! The product definition file is lost".  What does this mean and what do I need to do? Thanks for any help you can offer. J

Are you trying to do a One Key Recovery, update One Key Recovery or create backup media?

It's possible the OneKey (small button next to Power button) which Lenovo offers to boot Recovery, access a Boot menu or other tools, has become corrupted or lost it's link to boot Recovery. 

If you'll explain a bit more what you're trying to do we can help you better. 

I personally have a Lenovo g500 laptop but like most tech enthusiasts wiped the entire hard drive to do a Clean Install Windows 10 which is a vastly better install than the Factory install which is what OneKey would recover if it was ever used.  I still use OneKey to boot into Installation or Repair Media but that's it's only use available to me now that I have wiped the Recovery bloatware off the PC.

I mention this only as an example of OneKey's possible functionality beyond just booting into Recovery or generating media.  But if you tell me what you are trying to do or would like to have done, I will be glad to help you as much as you need. 

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Mr. Carmack, Thank you for replying to my question. In answer to your questions, the answer is "NO" to both.  I'm just using my computer to check my e-mail or to do some typing.  I'm not sure why this notice comes up? I wonder if this could be related to recent work I had done on my computer?  Recently, some of the keys on my key board would not respond when I touched it. It has since been fixed and the issue started after this. I have a Lenovo Flex3 which is less than 2 yrs old. 

J

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please work through the Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs are done. 

If any steps cannot be performed then try whichever method works here to access Advanced Startup Options  and then Startup Settings to get into Safe Mode with Networking which may work better to perform all of the steps, or from the Advanced Troubleshooting Options use the Command Prompt at boot to run Repair Commands in the Checklist.

If you’ll report back as you go, we may have other steps that are indicated.  We will help you complete them all.

Remember however that the Upgrade and/or Factory installs are inferior installs which most tech enthusiasts would never run in the first place.  For the  best possible install look over these steps for doing a Clean Install Windows 10 which is the gold standard install in an OS where the quality of the install is everything.

Short of that there is an automated  Reset Your Windows 10 PC which reinstalls the OS but doesn’t clear the hard drive to get it cleanest.  Both of the above require reinstalling Programs and settings, however you can keep files, programs and most settings and still reinstall the OS by doing a Windows 10 Repair Upgradewhich can fix many problems that the Checklist repairs cannot.

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My computer  keep telling me that my, "One Key Recovery - Install Shield Wizard. Error! The product definition file is lost".  What does this mean and what do I need to do? Thanks for any help you can offer. J         

If you still want to use onekey recovery you can install Aomei onekey recovery; I would suggest a clean install. You create your own factory partition and can update every time you get a new version of windows 10. The software is free.

At start up in will show your selected key for recovery pre os mode and as well as count down to select recovery after booting.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 3,524 Applies to: