Windows 10 auto update broke computer

Hi, I left my computer for dinner today and it decided to install updates and rebooted without my consent.

Anyway, now it is broken:

1. I can login, but then CPU usage goes high and almost nothing works.  For example, Chrome hangs; Start bar wont launch processes; etc

2.  Task manager will start and shows continuous high CPU from "Services Host: DCOM Server Process Launcher"

3. Running some things using Win-R works, eg explorer, cmd prompt.

I tried a system restore from the system boot but it did not fix the problem.

Please help.

Ron

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2018 Views 642 Applies to:

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the computer has performance issues after the update, we will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise when some of the Windows components gets corrupted.

I suggest you to try the methods given below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the explorer issue.

1.      Press Alt+ctr+Del from Desktop.

2.      Select Task Manager.

3.      Under process tab, locate Windows Explorer.

4.      Right Click Windows Explorer and select End Task.

5.      Now select on File tab and click Run Task.

6.      Type explorer.exe and press ok.

7.      Check if the issue persists.

Method 2:  Run Maintenance task.

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computers, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps.

1)      Press Windows + X on the keyboard.

2)      Select Control Panel.

3)      Select Troubleshooting.

4)      Click on Run maintenance task under System and Security.

Method 3: System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

1. Press the Windows button + X on your keyboard, a mini dialogue box will appear.

2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin). You must run the command prompt in Administrator level.

3. On the command prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

4. If everything went okay and no errors were found, restart your computer and see if the issue re-occurs.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your help.

I found that I had a system image and recovered using that, so I was not able to try your suggestions.  If the problem happens again, I will do as you suggested.  

I have disabled Windows Update for the moment in case a rogue update gets withdrawn over the coming weeks.  I will re-enable it in the new year.

thanks again,

Ron

Sorry this didn't help.

I did all this and the problem still persists.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologies for the late response.

I suggest you do download and install any pending updates that needs to be installed on the computer through Windows update and check if it helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have he same issue this guy is having but I have restored it back to a previous date and it doesn't work,  I can't run command prompt (admin) because when the screen changes to ask permission to use as admin I just get a blank screen,  hence I can't do anything admin. Pls help I haven't been able to use my product for a few days now :/

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Toby,

We would like to ask if you have already tried doing all the suggested troubleshooting steps that was provided by Krishna Prasobh V, if not, we recommend that you try all the basic troubleshooting steps that was given on this thread.

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,

I have had issues for many months with Windows 10 (Explorer) freezing and as noted above, I ended up rebuilding the machine I discussed.  This wasn't the total end to freezing though, on this and other machines that I have.

After many months of looking for a fix, I decided to uninstall anti-virus.  Well, this has fixed my problems and I have removed 3rd party AV from all my machines and now run Windows Defender.  Hey, it may not be the most feature rich AV, but its free and doesn't break my machine.  Note, I was generally using Kaspersky.

Hope this helps others.

regards,

Ron

Sorry this didn't help.

Please work through the Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs are done. 

If any steps cannot be performed then try whichever method works here to access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10  and then Startup Settings to get into Safe Mode with Networking which may work better to perform all of the steps, or from the Advanced Troubleshooting Options use the Command Prompt at boot to run Repair Commands in the Checklist.

If you’ll report back as you go, we may have other steps that are indicated.  We will help you complete them all.

Remember however that the Upgrade and/or Factory installs are inferior installs which most tech enthusiasts would never run in the first place.  By comparison, no one who has done the vastly superior  Clean Install Windows 10 has had a single complaint while the Upgrade and Factory installs have a problem posted here every few minutes. 

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

Sorry this didn't help.