Windows 10 apps have disappeared!

Hello Community,

I have an issue with all of the Windows 10 apps all of a sudden not working. A small history might help with fixing this...

A couple days ago the taskbar stopped working and I couldn't open up the sound controls from anywhere... I had just plugged in a Bluetooth headphone device and this happened. so I looked up a fix on the internet and it had to do with a command in powershell then deleting the TileDataLayer folder. I did all this although the folder wouldn't delete, so I kept reading and someone said to stop a service in services.msc and that I would be able to delete the folder. After multiple attempts I was never able to delete the folder. So I got frustrated and did what has been most effective for me in the past. I restarted my computer.

After I turned the computer back on my sound was working and all my settings would work again and the taskbar was functional. I plugged in my Bluetooth headphones again and they worked fine, so I considered my issue resolved.

Well, the next day I went to use my calculator so I said 'hey Cortana, open calculator'. Normally this would work, but she sat there still thinking on what to do. So I manually searched for calculator and found this: @{Microsoft.windowsCalculator_10.1512.34020.0_x64_8...}

after the dots I was unable to see anymore.

All other apps act the same with the same kind of wording describing them or something.

I have tried unpinning and repining, but it can't find the app so it can't pin it. Here is the tile view.

I will also include an image of the listed apps to show what is missing...

This is what I know of that is broken. Also, the Microsoft Store won't open so I can't just go into it and reinstall stuff. It's still there, just not there. Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info I can provide. Just let me know please.

Thanks,

Lorfaller

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2019 Views 23,176 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Lorfaller,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

We appreciate the time and effort you have put in to resolve the issue. I would like to assist you with further information from here.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter:

a)      Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b)      Click on Troubleshooting tab.

c)      Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d)      Select the Windows Store apps option from the list.

e)      Click Next to run the Troubleshooter.

Note: From the view list also deploy the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Additionally, also refer to the below link to deploy the Troubleshooter for Windows 10 apps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps 

Also, please be informed, the November update for Windows 10 has already been rolled out which you can install using Windows update as "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.29)" which is an approximate of a 3GB feed over the existing Windows 10 installation.

This update will play a major role in incorporating new features and improving as well as fixing missing links in performance in Windows 10 which includes core functionalities like Cortana and Windows Store.

Users already running Windows 10, you will receive the November update according to your Windows Update settings.

Refer: Windows 10 November update: FAQ 

How to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 November Update

Write to us with the updated status. If the issue still persists, we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the troubleshooter help, however after running it two or three times(even though once would do it), it didn't find any errors.

I also did verify that I have Version 1511 of Windows 10 downloaded and installed.

I was hopeful for this, but any additional help you can give would be great.

Thanks,

Lorfaller

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Lorfaller,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate you patience on this issue.

At this point, If you are using a Microsoft Account, you may convert the account to a Local account and back to Microsoft account and check if it helps.

To convert the account, you can do the following:

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account.

2. Click Start and then PC settings.

3. Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Disconnect on the right of the screen.

4. Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.

5. Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want set for your Local account and click Next. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

In order to switch back, follow these steps:

1. On the newly converted Local account, click Start and then PC Settings.

2. Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Connect to a Microsoft account.

3. Enter the Microsoft account ID and Password and click Next.

4. Choose if you want OneDrive as your default file saving location, click Next.

5. Click Switch.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Let us know the results. If the issue still persists, we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sayan_Ghosh,

I have done everything with new users that I can. Local account, new Microsoft account, and just a standard account. I did not change over admin privileges. Just made a new standard account.

None of this has made any difference. I even restarted to see if any changes would take effect after that, however they didn't. Is there another step?

Would it make a difference if I backed up some of my updates to an older release? Maybe an update did this? Just trying to help think this through.

Also, when I try to open anything that uses the MS store it says I need a different app to open it and then won't let me select anything. Just says I need ms-windows-store.

Maybe that can help with something.

Thanks,

Lorfaller

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Lorfaller,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Once again we appreciate your patience on this issue. I would like to assist you with further information from here.

Please refer to the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps: 

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.

• Restart the computer.  

Method 2:

If the above does not help, I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines: 

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
                         Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
                         Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope it helps this time.

Thank you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply. I did, however, give up on fixes for the issue and have since done a clean install.

I'm now working on getting everything back onto my computer. The backup I made didn't work as I hoped so this might be a long process.

Thank you for the assistance that you have provided.

Lorfaller

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems my issue is actually quite a bit more similar (than I previously realised) to yours.

Update: Windows Update broke 4 of my apps.  I just noticed this on my Start Menu.  I didn't realise the other 2 (Comms and People) were broken as well, because I never use them.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us.

To be able to assist you further, let us know if the troubleshooting steps provided in my earlier suggestions yield any positive outcomes.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Another fix would be to reinstall 10. To explain it, windows 10 is a free upgrade to win 7, 8, and of course 10! so I would recommend that you download the media creation tool for windows 10 and upgrade from 10 to 10. Actually, similar things were happening to me once and i re-upgraded to 10 and the problems ceased.
Linux- the OS people choose without billions of dollars of persuasion

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.