Windows 10 Anniversary Update – Blue Screen with Kindle Paperwhite

After the Windows 10 anniversary update last week, every time I plug in my Kindle Paper to the USB 3 port I get a Blue Screen with the Stop Code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED partmgr.sys.  Before the update I had no problems with the Kindle Paperwhite and Windows 10.

Problem Solved - After a series of Windows 10 updates, I tried attaching the Kindle Paperwhite again and it worked.  (Nov. 21, 2016)

Question Info

Last updated December 2, 2018 Views 2,147 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Please upload no more than three copies of your dump files that were created during the last 14 days as shared files to your OneDrive with a link here.

Dump files are usually found at c:\windows\minidump. You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the files. To show hidden files select the keyboard shortcut Win+S, type File Explorer Options in the Search box and click Folder Options in the drop down menu. Select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Please download and run Driver View and upload a copy of the report it produces to your OneDrive. To get a report on all drivers select Edit, Select All followed by File, Save Selected Items. Text file format please.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type msinfo32 and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Seems other users are reporting similar crashes:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/plugging-in-kindle-is-crashing-windows-10-after/5db0d867-0822-4512-919e-3d7786353f95

Providing the information requested by Gerry may help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply.  I do not have a OneDrive account and don't want to download software from Nirsoft for security reasons.  I have an HP Spectre 360 13", Windows 10 Home, Version 1607, OS.Build 14393.10, 64 bit OS, x64 processor, Intel i5-5200.  I think that Microsoft should be able to replicate the problem easily.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there.

I have same symptoms on USB 2.0. 

Here is what you asked Michael for.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlVZOFyspXllhAgs96Wke4Zt-TIC

Appreciate your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. It also makes my built-in (Conexant) audio crash.

Sorry this didn't help.

In response to Microsoft Email:  Problem not solved.  I uninstalled Apple's Bonjour which temporally fixed the problem until I restarted.  Then I uninstalled all of iTunes because Bonjour kept reappearing.  Now all apple software is permanently gone, but the Kindle Paperwhite still causes the BSOD. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  However, it may be that if you connect the Kindle with the magnetic cover closed, the fault doesn't happen.  Fault occurred on three widely different PCs (desktop 32- and 64-bit, desktop and tablet).  It may also be that using "eject, safe to remove" is mandatory.

Sorry this didn't help.

When plugging into my USB, Paperwhite crashes my Windows 10 Anniversary PC even when the Kindle magnetic cover is already open, and screen swiped to open the book I am reading.

Same as the other people complaining here, this problem just arose after the Anniversary update, so it is not a hardware problem.  It does not occur when the device is plugged into USB at boot.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. I found that if I connect the Kindle when starting Windows (before the system loads) it works fine until I disconnect the device. Disconnecting and reconnecting during a Windows session results in Blue Death.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you use the "Safe to eject" before disconnecting the Kindle? 

I've just used a single-shot "connect while cover closed", load data to device, "Safely remove..." sequence, and the PC kept running afterwards.  I've not tried a reconnection of the Kindle, though.  I'm now using a "sacrificial" 32-bit tablet PC where a blue-screen would not matter.

Sorry this didn't help.