Windows 10 1511 Update causing explorer.exe to crash via ShellExperienceHost

After rebooting my system when applying the Windows 10 1511 update explorer.exe is repeatedly crashing when forking the ShellExperienceHost.

I have tried reverting the build, and re-running updates via PowerShell, all to no avail. I've downloaded the MSU unpacked it as tried to get DISM to reinstall, but that did not succeed. Any thoughts on how to get the update to re-apply and possibly fix this issue, would be most appreciated.

the following events are raised: Applications: Activation of application Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

TwinUI/Operational: Activation of the app Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: The remote procedure call failed and did not execute..

ActivateApplicationForContractByAppIdAsUserWithHost of the app Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with The remote procedure call failed and did not execute..

Applications/Explorer: Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d4c0 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d1de Exception code: 0xc06d007e Fault offset: 0x0000000000071f08 Faulting process ID: 0x371c Faulting application start time: 0x01d12227ef1c4846 Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Well, I ended up fixing this my copying the entire C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy path from a non-updated windows 10 system. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This is very frustrating.... I updated my dell and I end up with everytime I open a windows Microsoft edge screen it fails.... obviously a problem with the update... I tried turning off and on the computer with no avail.... I also did a sfc/scannow with  no luck either.... Microsoft please fix this....

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting to our Microsoft Community.

Please follow the below steps and check if it works,

Follow the steps.

1. Press  Windows key + X.
  2. Click  command prompt (Run as administrator).
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands.      Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter

Reply us if you have further queries we will be happy to assist you.

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.

I think I have this problem too on the Dell laptop I've just upgraded yday evening from W7 to W10.

I tried the above instructions.  How long are they likely to take to complete? I think the problem is stopping the above commands completing, in fact the first command (Scanhealth) seems to have got stuck incomplete as explorer app keep crashing every few mins.  The Admin level Command prompt window displays only this:

D... I... S.. & M... tool

Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[========                                  20%                          ]

(that's all!)

Pls advise.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again,

Sorry ... further to my previous above, the Scanhealth command did finally completed 100% after 15 mins.

Its exit message was:
"No component store corruption detected.

The operation completed successfully."

I am now running the second command, Restorehealth.

And .... now it too has completed 100% with

"The restore operation completed successfully.
 The operation completed successfully."

Meanwhile, explorer.exe is still Application Error-ing every 60 seconds !

regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. Windows 10 V 1511. Started the computer, got a blue screen and then it stated it was updating. Now Explorer.exe crashes repeatadly for the first minute after boot and then nothing. I can't do any file management. Pressing WIN+E gives me this error after waiting a few seconds.:

I've run:

sfc /scannow

- Found and fixed something corrupted

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

- The component store is repairable.

- The operation completed successfully

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

- Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

I then did a reboot to see if that helped and now one of my monitors suddenly has a lower resolution than before and I can't increase it. 

I've also tried to uninstall updates through the control panel but that crashes the control panel with the following error:

It's the update for sure, now I need a fix.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue.  Explorer is dying every couple of minutes.  I tried the DISM.exe repair, and it gave me the same error message that opxz reported.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had to restore the 10240 build because nothing else worked.
"not a complete unknown"

Sorry this didn't help.

Got the update automatically and explorer doesn't work. I had to laugh about the message that says, "Your files are still were you left them" or some such pablum. I can't access my files. I'm at my desktop, Chrome works, calculator works, LibreOffice works -- I can access my files through the file open dialog. I can open a command prompt. (By the way, those two DISM commands didn't work.) But if I double click on This PC or try to access MY files, explorer just terminates, the task bar reloads and nothing happens. I can't view the installed updates because that won't open either. I can map a network drive but can't access it through the GUI; I can via the prompt.

From a prompt, winver tells me the version is 1511.  If that's the new update, it doesn't work. And unless I miss my guess, the entire point of a GUI is to access your files graphically. I used DOS for years and I really don't want to go back.

A few other things: the TiVo desktop is prompting me for my media access key. So the update is keeping that app from reading that specific registry key. Also, my video settings changed. I had to readjust the picture settings on my TV to set it back to wide screen because for some reason it was set to unscaled.  Then I had to set the scaling options in my video driver software.  That was VERY weird because I set it a long time ago and it was working fine until this update. Why my TV settings changed is a mystery. I'm sure it's related to the video driver but it's still strange nonetheless.

And one more thing. I had a friend stop their Windows 10 upgrade just in case. Help us, Dollar Bill -- you're our only hope.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is very frustrating.... I updated my dell and I end up with everytime I open a windows Microsoft edge screen it fails.... obviously a problem with the update... I tried turning off and on the computer with no avail.... I also did a sfc/scannow with  no luck either.... Microsoft please fix this....

I upgraded my Mom's Dell Inspiron N5110 yesterday and had this problem so I thought I'd share my experience for those of you who have explorer.exe restarting every minute like I was. The install itself was a pain because the upgrade program kept telling me the bios was not compatible with Windows 10 even after I updated the bios which was supposed to be compatible. 

Once I got upgraded, explorer.exe would restart every 60 seconds or so and the thing was nearly unusable.  I investigated a lot of things and also tried the sfc and dism.exe routines suggested in this thread but those didn't help the situation.

I found this thread which suggested that there were explorer extensions that were corrupted and were crashing it.  I downloaded the program Autoruns from Microsoft and found some explorer extensions and task scheduler entries that pointed to files that didn't exist.  I disabled the problem ones thinking this was my problem and rebooted but my problems persisted.  It did seem that the frequency of the explorer restarts was less but I didn't really verify that.

I then found this thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3xlmh9/explorerexe_continuously_restarting_itself/

My problem ended up being the IDT audio drivers causing the problem.  I uninstalled them and everything is now fine.  I think that disabling/deleting those autorun entries may have at least helped speed up the boot process a little bit.

Mark

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2018 Views 8,759 Applies to: