WHY DOES WINDOWS 10 NOT WORK WITH McAFEE ANTI-VIRUS PROTECTION?

It has come to my attention that Windows 10 is totally not compatible with McAfee Anti-virus protection. THOUSANDS of people are reporting when running a virus scan, with McAfee, after upgrading to Windows 10, the scan is unable to complete, constantly stops at 97 or 98% every time. I called McAfee, and they tell me Microsoft was to offer a download fix for this issue, but has failed to do so.

Why is Microsoft not resolving this issue?

It is not just a McAfee issue, as my virus protection worked just fine when I was still using Windows 8.1.

I am VERY disappointed in Microsoft letting this issue go on. As for Windows Defender, it is rated the WORSE POSSIBLE virus protection out there. I would suggest no one rely on this to protect their PC.

So, when is Microsoft going to send out a download fix, to allow McAfee virus protection to again work properly? OR, will they just ignore it, as they have so far?

Marty

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Marty

The folks at McAfee are aware that compatibility is the responsibility of the third party software manufacturer.

If this is a widespread issue, they will be releasing a patch.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

McAfee has told many people, it is a Microsoft Windows 10 issue, that did not exist with Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 7...They state Microsoft needs to make available a download patch to solve this.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

McAfee can say anything they want to say, including that the problem is caused by little pink fairies.  The fact is that if a patch is needed in order for the software to work in Windows 10, it's McAfee's responsibility to provide it.  As far as the efficacy of the software itself is concerned, it has been well known for years that McAfee and Norton products create as many problems than they solve. 

You also wrote, "As for Windows Defender, it is rated the WORSE POSSIBLE virus protection out there. I would suggest no one rely on this to protect their PC."   A lot of people, including me, are using Defender and the Windows firewall and have no issues with them.   If you could provide actual data to support the assertion that Defender is the "worse" virus protection, you might seem a more credible source of information.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for your reply. I will gather a petition with at least several hundred users of Windows 10 who are having this issue, that they never did with 8.0 or 8.1..When the petition is complete, I will forward it to Microsoft. As for Windows Defender, you need to simply search the internet where it rates the best and worse Anti-Virus programs to see it is a terrible protection alternative.

Thanks for your time.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You didn't say it was terrible, you said it's "...rated the WORSE POSSIBLE..."  I guess we can conclude that you were wrong about that.   Good luck with your petition.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"I am VERY disappointed in Microsoft letting this issue go on. As for Windows Defender, it is rated the WORSE POSSIBLE virus protection out there. I would suggest no one rely on this to protect their PC."

Programs, utilities etc have to be made to run with the operating system, not the other way around.

Next point:The reports on anti-virus solutions are rigged in as much as the reviewers would get no co-operation from the various anti-virus producers were they to say anything but good about the products. The tests are carried out against virus infections where it is known that all free/paid and the free ones with a paid option will pass.

Finally: The value added stuff included in the bigger packages are no better than the registry cleaner/optimizers on sale and you simply should NEVER use the stuff.

I have been using MSE and Windows Defender since they first appeared, and have not had issues with them.

A lot of infections which are found on computers do not come through any anti-virus solution. They are INVITED in by the computer users who click on all kinds of junk on websites, emails, and of course those who download stuff that they really shouldn't, a lot of which has had infections or options attached from which you can't refuse or escape..

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually located a download  fix for McAfee/Microsoft Windows 10 on the web, which corrected and fixed the problem with running the virus scan, and it now runs and completes the scan correctly with Windows 10. Just surprised it had to go to this extent to fix the issue.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See the other replies you've gotten and let me add that my view is the same as that of most of the other responses you've gotten: even if it works correctly, McAfee is one of the worst choices available. Defender is not the best, but it is far from the worst; it's better than McAfee.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In response to the issue between McAfee and Microsoft, I think that in the past both companies have proven their desire to provide what the public wants and needs. Therefore why can't they just work together on this until a solution is found. Passing the buck has seemed to become the way of society and I think it's a shame. Just take responsibility! Grow up!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is actually an issue on many AV's where the updates break them, be happy it is just your laptop.. i have to manage a network of over 1000 computers that every time Microsoft does this i have to push updates out to every computer on the network. The Provider however, they provide the updated software.. I use Symantec, they generally release the patch around the same time as the update takes place.. That way i am ready for it.. 

My solution has been working.. 

I am down to 35 machines running windows 10, and have rolled back the rest to Windows 7, which is where they will stay.. I was getting tired of the forced Cowboy approach of updates, that would break software, causing outages and money loss... This obviously isn't a solution for everyone, but you will need to call McAfee and have them provide you with an updated piece of software.. 

Alternately you can remove "Defender" and install something else.. I say remove, and not uninstall, because it takes some modifications to get that to be removed.. 

MCITP Certified
MCSE Certified
MCM Certified
White Hat Certified
CCNA Certified
Dell Hardware Certified
HP Hardware Certified
Palo Alto Certified
Nimble SAN Certified

15 years of IT, Priceless!

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2021 Views 22,614 Applies to: