Why does Windows 10 not create a dump file?

I have a modern Surface and it continually blue screens. Unfortunately it never creates a dump file so i am not able to debug the cause of the crash. I have validated the correct settings for dump file creation e.g. following instructions such as these: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/130536/windows-does-not-save-memory-dump-file-after-a-crash

and

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d445ff20-516e-4cea-962e-64b359c0b88a/bsod-does-not-create-dump-files?forum=WindowsInsiderPreview

I just want to get to the bottom of the issue and i don't just want to perform a clean factory install until i have attempted to determine the issue in case it is hardware related. My surface is only 4 months old and it has been plagued with BSOD. 

Thanks to anyone that can provide me some other ideas.

Evenvwr reports event 161 from volmgr - Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi DeadlySilverFox,

We would like to know if you have third-party applications that automatically cleans temporary files on your computer. Do you have something like CCleaner or Disk Cleanup a-like programs? Can you check if you have background processes that automatically deletes these kinds of files without your consent?

We're looking forward to your response.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Johann,

Thanks for replying and sorry for the delayed response. I have no disk clean-up programs but I do use Acronis True Image which does have a protection profile for detecting and blocking ransomware. I have however now uninstalled Acronis and I still get no dump file. It just sits on 0% whenever a BSOD occurs (which it usually every two days or so).

Thanks,

Tim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas as to why my Surface will not create a Dump File following a BSOD. Possibly I need to bite the bullet and re-install clean but would like to determine why the system is crashing before doing this.

All and any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks again,

Tim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let us address the blue screen instead. It may be some of your system files that generate dump file reports are no longer working due to its possible corruption.

Blue errors have many symptoms. One example is if you’re running applications that overload your current total memory capacity. It will trigger this error and you will need to restart your computer. To better assist you with your concern regarding this system failure, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• Can you still boot or start your computer properly? If yes, please navigate your computer and provide the following information below.
  • Which version or build of Windows device are you using? To know, press Windows + R to open the Run window. Type winver and press Enter. A new window will open showing the version and build number of your Windows device.
  • What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experience this issue?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
  • Did you enable your anti-virus programs? What are the anti-viruses installed on your computer?
  • Have you already scanned your computer for viruses and threats?
  • How much free space do you have on your hard disk?
  • How many programs/applications running on your computer after the blue screen error occurs?
  • Can we have a photo of this blue screen error message? (Take a picture since screenshots are not available and we’re not allowed to view dump files).

In addition, you can visit this link: Troubleshoot blue screen errors to start troubleshooting these errors.

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Really appreciate any help with this. 

Machine boots properly but failures are sporadic. Most common BSOD errors are UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION, KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

• Windows 10 Pro - Version 1803 Build 17134.228 running on the latest Surface Pro.
  • No changes made to the system I keep a static set of applications as I use this machine for work and I have been plagued with this issue since buying the device new. Sometimes I will get days without an issue and other times 4 BSODs a day. Cannot determine the issue though as I never get a dump file.
  • In terms of troubleshooting steps I have run all the diagnostic tools to check for storage failures (disk), RAM issues, etc. I have removed all non-essential applications that I thought could be providing kernel level hooks like BitDefender, Acronis TrueImage Backup (with its always on ransomware protection) in case this was causing issues in the storage layer. I have scoured event viewer and looked at all errors and warnings and attempt to either remove or find posts/descriptions that conclude they are "expected" or not to be worried about.
  • I have run a full AV check but as with the point above I have now removed BitDefender and returned to Microsoft AV. No threats found.
  • I have lots of free space available on my hard disk 320GB fee of the 476GB disk. Storage sense and other auto-deleting features are disabled.
  • I make extensive use of Office 365 and OneDrive Syncing - my hunch is the these BSOD issues are being caused by the background saving and syncing.
  • I can be running nothing more than the browser but typically I am running Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Outlook, VOIP Studio, Zoom Meeting Client and Chrome (occasionally Visual Studio and PowerBI but this is not the norm). Slack is always running too. I have a password vault app (StickyPass) and iCloud integrations and the Adobe Cloud app is running in the background. Typically I will be in PowerPoint or Excel when the BSOD occurs but occasionally it will fail if the screen lock is on. Office Apps are all through my Office365 subscription and I am not joined to a corporate domain so no weird and wonderful group policies or lockdowns in place.
  • One thing might be of note that I extensively use the Surface Dock. My surface is docked most of the time but I have also seen the BSOD happen when I remove the dock connector and the machine changes power state and so I have never ruled out some form of hardware issue with the Surface itself. 
  • I have worked through the Troubleshooting Bluescreen Errors and I even contacted Microsoft support who wanted to start with a complete re-image back to the factory default. I like to get to the bottom of issues however before just wiping clean and seeing if that solves the issue so I am really keen to get some help. 

Thanks again and sorry for the delay in reply. I will attach the BSOD images.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you ever find a resolution (I realize your response is from September)? I have the same problem with identical use case (MS Office, OneDrive, Surface dock). I just did the complete re-image and nothing has changed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately not. I can’t help but think there is some form of hardware issue (i believe its the SSD) but i cannot prove it. With no dump file it becomes almost impossible to track down.

Did you do a clean build or perform a device factory restore? I assume you also get no dump file?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1) In the above images there were three different BSOD bugchecks.

2) There may be some steps or tests that you have already done but whatever the findings in the logs there may new or repeat tests.

For all tests please post images into the thread using zips and / share links (one drive, drop box, or google drive)

3) To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

4) Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

Choose the applicable link for the operating system:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html
https://www.eightforums.com/threads/language-add-or-remove-in-windows-8.5849/
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87317-display-language-change.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

5) Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

6) Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

7) There are two files for you to find manually:

a) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter the above to find results.

b) dxdiag: 

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

8) In the left lower corner search type: system or system control > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings

a) > on the advanced tab under startup and recovery > click settings > post an image of the startup and recovery into the thread.

b) > on the advanced tab under performance > click on settings > under performance options > click on the advanced tab > under virtual memory > click on change > post an image of the virtual memory tab into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately I cannot post the bugcheck files as my system will not create them the system just hangs at 0% and never creates a bug check file regardless of what settings are configured. My current configuration is as follows:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1) In the prior post see step #8.

The virtual memory image was missing.

Please post an image of the Virtual memory windows.

2) For startup and recovery system failure:

a) Change complete memory dump to automatic memory dump

b) Reboot to maintain settings.

3) For any BSOD post two share links into the thread using one drive, drop box, or google drive:

a) one share link for the results of the administrative command prompt command

b) one share link for the memory dump > if the file size is < 1.5 GB then zip > post a share link

4) Please run the administrative command prompt command now and post a share link with dxdiag.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2021 Views 25,804 Applies to: