Very high DPC latency on Win10 in ndis.sys

Hello,

I've been having a lot of headache since I've upgraded to Windows 10 over occasional (every 15 mins or so) audio and video stutter. I did not experience this on Windows 7 on this same hardware setup. After doing a lot of investigating it seems to come down to DPC latency in the ndis.sys driver. Sometimes I also get same level DPC latencies on tcpip.sys as well. I do not have a wi-fi adapter that some people have reported as the cause for their DPC latency issues and I have uninstalled malwarebytes anti-malware software which was reported in another thread as the cause.

I have tried reinstalling network drivers, updating BIOS and a bunch more stuff as well as all 3 listed options in the "solution" for this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-high-dpc-latency/da0b269b-6e22-4275-81ee-3671fb554528

I even went out and got a new network adapter just to make sure it's not that - still no dice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the readout from LatencyMon:

http://pastebin.com/6HkWTVET

Some screenshots from the other tabs:

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2019 Views 30,608 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll try, but the issue is quite unpredictable so it's practically impossible to tell when it will happen.

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like I got it on the first try. Seems like adding system stress aggravates the problem. Here is the folder that tool output:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E343CDC4DEC8789C!869&authkey=!AOVuYvDGmE7POaY&ithint=folder%2c

Sorry this didn't help.

KZ

First the primary CPU process was your media player classic which was using more than 55% of the CPU.  NDIS was only marginally latent and was being driven by your realtek driver.  I would remove all the realtek drivers (both network and audio) completely and install the newest version available.

It also does not help that you have 100+ processes running.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for looking into this. I have already tried reinstalling network and audio drivers, but I will do that again. MPC utilizing a lot of CPU power is normal as I am using SVP (smooth video project) for playback. It's also the easiest way for me to get those spikes in ndis.sys DPC latency as I can immediately tell when it happens from the audio and video stutter.

The spikes will happen even when I have just booted up the system, it will just take longer to catch it. Is there anything else you could suggest? Perhaps catching the issue with WPR after a fresh boot would help pinpoint the issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

KZ

Happy to look at a boot trace but I suspect WPR will not be granular enough to spot exactly what is going on.  Since ndis is a networking driver I would completely remove all the networking drivers (even if you are not using one) completely and installing a fresh copy (newest version)

I would also run a system file check to find the state of the OS and I will be happy to look at a boot trace.  DO me a favor and zip the file when you upload it.  These file reduce by a factor of 10 so your 1.8Gb file would have been a 180 Mb download.  Faster for you to upload and for us to download.

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM  if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
Should you have any questions please ask us.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

It's windows 10. It has to be the worse version of windows ever. I upgraded from 8.1 and now everything is so slow. First I thought it was because I only had 4 GB ram so I upgraded to 16 GB and nothing has changed in. Regards to the speed. So then I took all my files of my all-in-one pc and did a full wipe and put a new clean version of windows 10 on. It didn't change a thing. This computer was very fast on windows 8.1 but now I have to wait when opening any file and the new explore edge is a joke. I had to put Firefox on as I was waiting to long. And to anyone who things its my computer your mad. I have, what has been rated the best all-in-one touch screen computer, and its never ever been like this until I put windows 10 on it. But its not just on my pc, I bought a new surface pro 4 with 16gb ram and i7 possessor. But that's just as bad. In fact worse because every so often the touch screen would just crash. So I think Microsoft need to sort this out, and fast. I come on her to try and find out how I can downgrade because I can't do it the easy way, as I did a full wipe on my pc. So if anyone know please let me know. And warning to all. Stay away from windows 10. Ive added a photo if that helps anyone. My virus protector was running in the back ground with the pages what you can see open and about 5 web pages. My CPU was running at around 60% and my ram was about 15%. Of coure my disk drive was running at about 90% but that's normal when your virus protector is running. As you can see with all the specs I should be having so much trouble.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll see if i can catch it after a boot, but I probably won't spend too much time on it. SFC & DISM reported no issues. I think I'll try an Intel adapter and driver on Monday to see if this fixes the issue.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

there was a post with the same problem:

ndis.sys- High DPC latenecy / High DPC CPU usage

which was fixed by disabling power management for the network adapter.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, but in that thread the issue is with a wireless adapter on a laptop. Turning off power management for me doesn't fix it unfortunately.

Sorry this didn't help.