Troubleshooting and Windows 10 Help

I'm not quite sure why Microsoft still can't repair its own system. There are grand features that give you specific details of what's causing the errors. Then when you come here for answers, there are none.

Case in point:

In the Event Viewer there is an application error in Windows Media Player. When you bring up the details, it looks like this:

*Faulting application name: Windows.Media.BackgroundPlayback.exe, version: 10.0.16299.15, time stamp: 0xe6b7da7e
*Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.16299.15, time stamp: 0x811a4962
*Exception code: 0xc000027b
*Fault offset: 0x001c64a1
*Faulting process id: 0x5a8
*Faulting application start time: 0x01d38fc3146e99e7
*Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Windows.Media.BackgroundPlayback.exe
*Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\combase.dll
*Report Id: 1487bc3a-50d9-4bbf-b79d-90289f959809

Now there is a ton of information here, which even to an advanced user is totally useless. But fortunately there's a hyperlink under "More Information" for "Event Log Online Help". So you click on it and you ALWAYS get this>>>

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer available.

So we come here for answers...

First of all, I'm running the newest build, 1709. Now this is a Windows 10 Upgrade, meaning most help with errors can not be found by sifting through information on previous builds. You can get a direction, but even that help is obsolete because these new builds change the menus so your path to troubleshooting always ends up in a dead end...

I'm not sure what the solution to this issue is, but I find it hard to understand why I can buy 3rd party software to solve almost every problem, but can't get dependable help from the so called experts that programed the system.

Anywho, the problem stated above is still active. If anyone has a clue, besides the obvious troubleshooting with SFC and yes I do know Windows Media Player was not initially designed to work with Windows 10, I would appreciate it.

This is (always has been) a peer-to-peer volunteer-based international web forum.

Did you do the DISM repair as well?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This is (always has been) a peer-to-peer volunteer-based international web forum.

Did you do the DISM repair as well?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

Shenan, thanks for your reply. I understand this is a peer to peer forum and my comments weren't directed at anyone here, just the creators of this nightmare.

I didn't even think of running the DISM check because it's very unlikely the image file was corrupt when first saved. However not to let any stone unturned, I ran the check. 

The first "health check" returned no corrupt files found.  So, ran the recovery just to leave no doubt and again, no issues found or repaired..

I ran the SFC in scannow mode, again, no problems found.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

We’d like to confirm if the issue that you’ve encountered on your Windows 10 is already resolved. If yes, we encourage that you share the information that fixed it. This would be a great help for other community members if they encounter the same concern.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Joseph,

The actual original question is why the Event Viewer hyperlink ALWAYS fails to work in Windows 10. The exact error about Windows Media Player is just an example, but it isn't the point of the discussion.

The root cause is that Microsoft has not fixed the event log online database.

Steps to reproduce:

* Open event viewer

* Choose any event

* Click on link to "Event Log Online Help"

Result: Redirected to the Microsoft error page "the page you requested cannot be found"

I can reproduce the same event viewer problem on a BRAND NEW install of Win 10 1709. Open event viewer, choose any event, then click on "Event Log Online Help". Click "Yes" and a URL like this is opened:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp?ProdName=Microsoft%c2%ae+Windows%c2%ae+Operating+System&ProdVer=10.0.16299.15&EvtID=69&EvtSrc=Microsoft-Windows-AppModel-Runtime&LCID=1033

This URL fails to open and redirects to a Microsoft "Page Not Found" general error page.

This has been discussed in TechNet and other Community Forum posts multiple times since the release of Windows 10 15xx several years ago. 3 years later and it still isn't fixed. See for example:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-event-log-online-help-not-working/fe3e4682-638e-4804-9ab0-df339973cc26

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem.  New Dell Laptop with Win 10 Pro.  Any ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For the replied to issue?  No.

If you have an event in the event log you need to research, copy the text and Google search for people with similar issues.

Microsoft obviously does not see this as a priority and have not for a decade +.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2022 Views 571 Applies to: