Question

Q: toshiba laptop, windows 10 - won't wake, no power options, won't reset

I am at my wits end with windows 10. 

I'm running windows 10 on a toshiba satellite radius p55w-b5318. I am the sole user and admin on this pc. I have been all over the internet reading forums, I've called toshiba and microsoft more than once trying to fix some of these problems and gotten nowhere. 

My first problem: Since installing windows 10 my laptop will fall asleep and simply not wake up. The fan continues to spin on occassion, the lights remain on as if the hard drive is still on (solid state so I can't hear it spinning), if I press the power (or any other button) the keyboard lights turn on but the screen itself remains blank. For all intents and purposes the machine behaves as if it's on, but doesn't actually wake up. The only solution to this is to do a hard reset, which I'm sure is ruining my hardware. I've gone into the power options and changed every possible setting and tested them each, disengaging sleep, hibernate and quick restart, to no avail. This continues to happen, even if intermittently. 

My second issue is that my power options have now disappeared from my start menu. The button remains, but when I click on it I have no options. No sleep. No hibernate. No shut down. No restart. Just a blank box with no options. I am running home and have no gpedit, which is the only option I've seen in forums that I haven't been able to check. I've gone in and checked all the boxes under power options > change what the power button does > change settings that are currently unavailable > shutdown settings. I have changed my power button to perform the shutdown, but the fact that the menu is a persistent and unfixable problem is intolerable.

My third problem is that with all this I have tried more than once to do a system reset, and each time I come back to my computer to find an error screen that says a reset was impossible and no changes have been made to my system.

I need a solution that will not force me to wipe my laptop and start from scratch. 

Hi,

We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

1. What is the make and model of your computer?
  2. Does the manufacturer provide Windows 10 drivers?

As you have already tried to change the power options to no avail, I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the Power troubleshooter.

1. Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
  2. Click on “View all” on the top left pane.
  3. Select Power from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Method 2: Create another account and check if the issue persists in the new user account.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

In addition it sounds like you may have corruption in the OS.  This can be typical of the inferior Upgrade install, or a clean install gone bad. 

I suggest you follow these steps for Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade which have been used by tens of thousands of consumers without a single problem or complaint.  You'll have the best possible install of Windows 10 and know fully how to maintain it.

Until then you can go over the Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Approaching 100,000 helped in forums. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-19, Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 856 Last updated: May 31, 2018 Applies to: