Stuck on Infinite Automatic Repair Failure

About a week ago, I obtained a notification on Windows that I should restart to fix drive errors. I assumed this would just run chkdsk. However when I restarted, I was greeted by the message "Automatic Repair" and "Diagnosing Your PC." Unfortunately, I was then given the message that the Automatic Repair failed. This message has remained constant for each and every reboot and I'm always lead to the same menu for Repair. So far, I have tried 

- Running chkdsk /f /r on both my C: and D: drives

- Restarting (about 12 times now)

- Choosing Startup Repair under Advanced options (Has failed for every one of my 4 tries)

I really do not want to choose the option to Reset the PC. I would choose the Refresh option but that doesn't appear anywhere under Troubleshoot.

E D I T ----- 

After doing some tinkering, I was able to boot into the legacy boot menu where I found the problem was the fltmgr.sys driver. However I have no idea how to fix this particular file given that startup repair doesn't work, the chkdisk command always tells me there are no problems, and the sfc /scannnow command never works after verification. 

This is both during a "Repair Your Computer" sequence from a bootable iso and the regular automatic repair sequence. 

Question Info

Last updated February 8, 2019 Views 475 Applies to:

Hello,

Since the issue is related to the Operating System, perform a Repair Install using an ISO. This will fix most, if not all, Operating System related issues. Follow the instructions on this link.

Kindly tell us if this resolved your issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, attempting a startup repair leaves me with a message stating "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC" after diagnosing and attempting repairs.

Also, using the command line "bootrec /rebuildbcd" shows that there are 0 identified Windows installations.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We'd like to follow up on the solution provided by Marilou Ser regarding the error that you encountered during startup. Have you also tried the troubleshooting steps shared by Andre Da Costa? Please also advise us of the result so we can look for additional steps to resolve the issue.

We will wait for your quick response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, attempting a startup repair leaves me with a message stating "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC" after diagnosing and attempting repairs.

Also, using the command line "bootrec /rebuildbcd" shows that there are 0 identified Windows installations.

"BootRec  /RebuildBCD" will only add to the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) store. To have it rebuild an entry that is already in the BCD, that entry must be removed first. Probably, BCDEdit can do that. Or, you can delete (or rename) the current BCD. Then, a new one will be built. Here is its help screen...

X:\windows\system32>bootrec /?

Repairs critical disk structures. The following commands are supported:

/FixMbr -- writes the master boot record of the system partition using the master boot record compatible

with Windows. This operation does not overwrite the existing partition table.

/FixBoot -- write a new boot sector onto the system partition using the boot sector compatible with Windows.

/ScanOs -- scan all disks for installations compatible with Windows and display the entries that are currently

not in the boot configuration store.

/RebuildBcd -- scan all disks for installations compatible with Windows and allow the user to choose which to

add to the boot configuration store.

But there are two problems....

(1) Where is the BCD to delete?

Maybe it's on C:. More likely, it's on an EFI partition, to which you first need to assign a letter. Then, you can delete the BCD.

(2) Is there a stray, obsolete Recovery Partition on the HDD located before the good one?

If so - "BootRec  /RebuildBCD" will make it the active recovery partition - which is very bad! Then, you'd need to use ReagentC to set that right. And you should do it immediately, before trying a Shift+Restart. (That's what reboots into the recovery partition.)

Sorry this didn't help.

To my understanding, this would be the equivalent to resetting the PC which is something I'd much rather not do as I'd like to keep my applications and other programs.

Sorry this didn't help.

After doing some tinkering, I was able to boot into the legacy boot menu where I found the problem was the fltmgr.sys driver. However I have no idea how to fix this particular file given that startup repair doesn't work, the chkdisk command always tells me there are no problems, and the sfc /scannnow command never works after verification. 

This is both during a "Repair Your Computer" sequence from a bootable iso and the regular automatic repair sequence.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I've got two of those in Win 10, v.1607, OS Build 14393.1066. In Windows they look like this, & their Properties indeed show them to be the same.

At a DOS Prompt, they look like this...

(1) Can you do that at a DOS prompt?

(2) If yours is the same OS as mine & both look like that, probably something else is the problem.

(3) Otherwise, can you rename the one that looks bad,

& make a copy of the good one into its folder?

It's the following (more likely) or visa versa (less likely)...

REN    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\FLtmgr.sys  Fltmgr_bad.sys

COPY  c:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-filtermanager-core_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_3e7dde6d417eb5ec\FLTMGR.SYS  C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

WARNING: You really don't want to mess with that file or those folders unless you really have to.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ditto. 😒

Sorry this didn't help.