Start menu and Cortana are not working

Original Title: dolly80

My windows 10 installed recently has locked me out twice now.   am still locked out at the moment.  I have had a computer repair man twice now and it is getting expensive. It tells me the start menu and Cortana are not working and I should sign out immediately. Can anyone suggest anything I can do please?  Thanks

|
Answer
Answer

Hi Jean,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I will assist you to fix the issue.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps to sort out the error “Critical error-start menu and Cortana not working”.

We are aware that some customers are experiencing this error, and are actively investigating.  You may be able to temporarily resolve the issue by booting to Safe Mode, and then immediately booting back into normal mode.  This workaround may resolve your problem for a while, however the error may return later.

Method 1: To boot to Safe Mode with Networking: 

1. From Hold the Shift key down while you press the Power icon and select Restart.

2. Once you are within the Windows Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and Restart.

3. When it restarts, you should see a number of options.  Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.

4. Once you sign into your account in Safe Mode, you’re done.  Just restart your PC to return to a normal boot.

If the issue still persist, follow the below method.

Method 2: Please try the following and check if it helps.

1. Open the Task manager.  Here’s a tip:  Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.

2. Click File > Run New Task.

3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges

4. Type Powershell

5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window.

7. Reboot the computer and check.

If the issue still persist, follow the below method.

Method 2: You may disconnect the email id associated with the Microsoft account and associate that email id with the Local account. Once this is done the Local account which is working fine would now become the Microsoft account.

How to switch to a local account from Microsoft account.

1. Press “Windows + I” keys to open settings (When you get the error “Critical error-start menu and Cortana not working”).

2. Select Accounts.

3. On the right side, it will show your current account with an option "Switch to a local account”.

4. Select “switch to a local account” and follow the steps to switch your Microsoft account into a local account. Once this is done your Microsoft account is safe and not linked with that computer anymore.

How to convert a local account to Microsoft Account:

1. Press “Windows + I” keys to open settings.

2. Select Accounts.

3. Tap or click Switch to a Microsoft account and follow the on screen instructions.

After performing above steps, sign out and try to sign in to Windows 10 again and check if it helps.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 3, 2020 Views 4,083 Applies to: