Severe performance issues in Firestorm viewer after installing KB3176938 (Windows Version 1607 Build 14393.105)

Hi there!

I'm one of the developers for the Firestorm viewer (http://www.firestormviewer.org) for accessing Linden Lab's Second Life using OpenGL. Since a few days, we received several reports of users suddenly having severe performance issues using our program after they temporarily task-switched to a different program. It turns out that all of these users are running Windows 10 and the issue started to arise after installing the latest Windows update KB3176938 (Windows Version 1607 Build 14393.105). After uninstalling the update, the issue has gone away.

What happens exactly is, that for many users simply switching from our program to some other (program loses focus) and then switching back results in a drastic drop in frames per second, whereas scenes previously rendering perfectly fine are suddenly rendered with 2 FPS. When this happens appears to be rather undeterministic - for some people it already happens right at the first task switch, for others after a random amount of time and task switches.

Further details (including system specs of users affected) can be obtained from our issue tracker at http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-20034

Personally, I experienced this issue twice already in a single day after I installed KB317698 but only after a random time and number of task switches.

There are also reports of other games suddenly showing the same kind of issue, all using OpenGL apparently:

* Runescape: https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/50o7pf/kb3176938_for_windows_update_is_causing_massive/ & http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws?415,416,704,65828403

* X-Plane 10: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/114962-fps-frieren-ein-seit-windows-kb3176938-update/

I already reported this via the Feedback tool, but apparently it restricts visibility of issues to the language version of the local Windows installation, so I'm reporting this here as well so our users can add additional comments.

EDIT 07-09-2016: Microsoft has been informed by Linden Lab and is investigating the issue.

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2019 Views 6,276 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've also had this issue!

When I tab out, the program suffers a huge FPS loss and it will not go back. Uninstalling the Windows update KB3176938, seems to have fixed the issue!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I too had the problem, and removing KB3176938 helped on my main desktop system (GTX760 graphics) as well as on the notebook (nVidia GT940m graphics, i5-6200U Skylake processor).

Frame rate was supposedly around 40-50 fps, but it dropped to 5 fps on 14393.105

Main system:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3400.18 MHz)
Memory: 16304 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 14393)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2

Notebook:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz (2400 MHz)
Memory: 12184 MB
Graphics Card: GeForce 940M/PCIe/SSE2

Sorry this didn't help.

Another way to immediately trigger the issue is to load two viewers (using an alt account).  Without KB3176938, I can run both on Ultra with almost no issues.  With KB3176938, frames drop immediately to the equivalent of a slideshow.  I've had several friends test this as well, and it is easily reproducible.

Sorry this didn't help.

I use the latest Firestorm Viewer 4.7.9 and had an issue at first until I cleared everything out and then ran ccleaner to clean all temp files (temp/%temp%/prefetch) out then re-logged with no issues aside from things not rezzing in correctly its more blurred out but I have the Alienware 17 R3 with specs below...

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (2591.98 MHz)
Memory: 16252 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 14393).105
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970M/PCIe/SSE2

Samsung 950 Pro SSD

300MBPS+Boost for Internet

and 20+ FPS with 30+ people on sim running on a 4K screen in 4K not 1080p.

Sorry this didn't help.

First verify that you have KB3176938 installed, then launch TWO Firestorm sessions and log in with two different avatars. This is the ONLY way I have found to actually trigger the FPS drop. Otherwise it is random when toggling back and forth between FS and other apps.  Launching two FS sessions will cause an immediate drop to 1-4 FPS that cannot be resolved without closing both sessions.

Uninstall KB3176938 and you won't see that FPS drop.  Temp files have nothing to do with this. It is also being seen in other games such as Runescape now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here, I uninstalled the Update KB3176938 now it working fine , Please Microsoft Fix this issue with your next Update so I can Update my Computer again. I'm currently running  Build 14393.82 now there are no Problems.

here my system info:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (2591.99 MHz)
Speicher: 24527 MB
Betriebssystemversion: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 14393)
Grafikkartenhersteller: NVIDIA Corporation
Grafikkarte: GeForce GTX 970M/PCIe/SSE2

Sorry this didn't help.

X-POST From Firestorm Viewer's JIRA :

The culprit here is the Update KB3176938

Uninstall it by going (on Windows 10) to Start > Control panel > Updates > History > Uninstall

To keep windows from downloading the update again download this tool and run it to "hide" the update :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930?utm_source=twitter#bookmark-1607

Also, apparently it's a problem with OpenGL and KB3176938

See here also : 

https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/50o7pf/kb3176938_for_windows_update_is_causing_massive/

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-20034

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3497.96 MHz)
Memory: 16323 MB
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 21.21.0013.7270
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 372.70

Uninstalling the update fixed it for me !

Microsoft, please do something about it. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

An update to my previous post:

LindenLabs' SL Viewer 4.0.7.318301 (32 bit) is also affected. It took about 20 minutes on my main machine until the framerate dropped to 5 fps irreversibly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is another report of somebody suddenly having performance issues in flight simulator games after installing the KB3176938 update: http://www.win-10-forum.de/windows-10-updates-and-patches/11943-kb3176938-laeuft-mir-sehr-schlecht.html

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, it appears that now the AU INCLUDES KB3176938, so that it cannot be removed separately. I've confirmed this with two users today who did not have the AU, installed it and they have the problem, but do not have the update available to remove or block. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

UPDATE: This appears to NOT be true...the KB3176938 has NOT been rolled into the main AU update.

Sorry this didn't help.