Scan Problems with Windows 10

Since installing Windows 10 it will not recognise the scan function on my Epson printer. So I have been using the Scan programme bundled with Windows 10 until the most recent upgrade when now even that is not working. It just says 'we cannot find a scanner attached'. I have run all the trouble shooters which tell me the printer is working fine! Why is it that every time there is a Windows 10 update it messes up all sorts of things. Never used to happen with Windows 8!

Hi Victor,

I would request you to start the Windows Image Acquisition service and then check if it helps.

a: Press Windows key + R.

b: Then type services.msc in the run dialog box and hit enter.

c: Then look for a service called Windows Image Acquisition and make sure it is started and set as automatic.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a rather elderly Epson scanner that Windows 10 didn't find a driver for, so it didn't appear at all. To see if this is the case, go to device manager, and see if the scanner appears (if memory serves it shows up under "Cameras and Imaging Devices" or some such). If it doesn't know what to do with the scanner part of the printer it should show up somewhere in device manager with an exclamation mark complaining that it doesn't know what it is or it can't find a driver (though with a multifunction device I'm not positive that would be the case).

In my case, I was able to pull drivers from Epson, and got it working. Though it did take a couple tries for some reason: I tried once, and the driver didn't work, then I did the download a second time, got a different driver (why, I don't know, I must have gotten there by a different path) and it worked that time. Be sure to follow Epson's instructions (generally involves having the scanner unplugged before installing the driver, maybe even doing a full reboot before you even start the process just to make sure it starts in a state where it knows nothing of the scanner). You may need to reboot afterwards before it finds everything.

Or maybe this won't work at all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did this. All set up OK and running. Made no difference!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ran this. Printer is listed under image acquisition. Did search and device driver is up to date. Still will not recognise it!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2021 Views 206 Applies to: