Restart shuts down computer, shut down powers off the screen but i can hear the laptop still going on

Hi, ever since I upgraded to the Windows 10 Pro edition from Windows 8.1, I have been encountering the issue below.

When I click restart, my laptop shuts down instead. When I choose shut down, the laptop powers down, like the screen gets turned off, but I can still hear my laptop running, and NO MATTER what I press, nothing happens, and eventually I have to hard shut down my computer (hold down power button) in order to shut it down.

Now, I tried reformatting, resetting my PC, and even cleaning install the Windows 10 on my laptop, but it always goes back to this scenario. In Windows 8.1 Pro, I never experienced this issue.

I've read I can change the functionaly of the restart and shut down in registry editor, but I could not see the restart and shut down settings in there.

I've also tried going into safe mode, and found out that everything is working in safe mode, but beyond that, I do not know what else to do. I do not get when people say "start turning off stuff one at a time to rule out some apps", really, I don't know what they mean by that.

Can you help me out? This has been going for months, and I've really tried everything.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2019 Views 8,249 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm having the same issue with an Asus N56VJ. It had Windows 8 with the problem when I bought it. I tried upgrading to Windows 10, downgrading to Windows 8.1, then back to Windows 10. I've tried ALL the suggested solutions in EVERY forum and blog in regards to this issue. The last thing to try was from a friend I considered a Jedi of computers. he said it was a bios corruption issue. he said to reflash, or replace the bois chip with a pre-flashed most current bios. I tried to flash bios, but it won't let me because it is already the most current version. I tried to go back a version, but it won't let me go back. So I guess my only option is to buy another bios chip. which isn't expensive, just scared to desolder and resolder. Asus says they will fix the restart/shut down issue and replace the case (which i asked them about because it has a couple of stripped screws) for 170 plus shipping costs both ways. I have decided just deal with it and to just remember to hit restart if I want to shut it down, and avoid the shut down button. And spend 30 on a used case so it would quit separating at the hinge from the stripped screws.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having the same issue with an Asus N56VJ. It had Windows 8 with the problem when I bought it. I tried upgrading to Windows 10, downgrading to Windows 8.1, then back to Windows 10. I've tried ALL the suggested solutions in EVERY forum and blog in regards to this issue. The last thing to try was from a friend I considered a Jedi of computers. he said it was a bios corruption issue. he said to reflash, or replace the bois chip with a pre-flashed most current bios. I tried to flash bios, but it won't let me because it is already the most current version. I tried to go back a version, but it won't let me go back. So I guess my only option is to buy another bios chip. which isn't expensive, just scared to desolder and resolder. Asus says they will fix the restart/shut down issue and replace the case (which i asked them about because it has a couple of stripped screws) for 170 plus shipping costs both ways. I have decided just deal with it and to just remember to hit restart if I want to shut it down, and avoid the shut down button. And spend 30 on a used case so it would quit separating at the hinge from the stripped screws.
Did you try resetting the BIOS, which worked for me to fix the issue that RESTART was shutting down the computer, and SHUT DOWN was freezing it, as I recall.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Bridge pins to reset your BIOS.

Sorry this didn't help.

yes I tried that , and pulled cmos battery.... I think I tried that, didn't work, then tried pulling battery and bridging, and then tried pulling the battery again and left it overnight, and still no success. But it was A long time ago, but maybe I did it wrong. can you explain which pins to bridge and I'll try it again. I'm guessing it's different on different mobo's, so I'm not sure you'll be able to answer that unless you have the same or similar laptop.

Sorry this didn't help.

Pulling battery overnight should have worked. There might be two batteries?  Only way to know is to check the motherboard specs.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I think i was thinking of a different computer repair because when i opened it up, looked very unfamiliar. But just in case I was right, that i tried this already, I replaced the cmos battery. I also left it out for ten min. And I'm happy to report it worked! I restarted 5 times and shut down 3 times successfully to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I put the cmos battery in my key fob for my truck, and let fob works, so I think the battery was ok. So I think just pulling the battery to reset was all it needed. But just in case, I replaced it because it was a pain to get to. had to completely disassemble, and didn't want to have to do that again lol. Thank you for your help and time Jon328!! I'm so happy it works properly!!!

Also on a side note, I'm glad it took all THAT to fix it, in a way. because my backlight for my screen quit working a couple months ago and thought I needed a new LED driver board or screen. But I took the screen apart cuz I was already this far into disassembly lol I found that somehow the cable came partially unplugged from the LED driver board. YAY no more external monitor and it shuts down and restarts properly 😁😁 what a good day LOL 😆

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Jon328, 

i have found your post here and the situation you and other had and I managed to resolve it as you said.

"By removing the BIOS battery."

It was a pain to disassemble a SAMSUNG NP700G7C-S06DE. You have to take it all apart in order to be able to remove that stupid positioned BIOS Battery. But in the end I got to clean the laptop, renew the thermal paste and put it back together as it was.

I swear to god that I was close to downgrade my BIOS for it to work, form BIOS version (ITEM_20140627_21389_WIN_P04ABA.exe) to (ITEM_20121009_734_WIN_P01ABA.exe). And by the way, it's not that easy. They are a couple of steps to that too!

Anyway waned to put this up there so other like myself will be able to repair or even have as many confirmations that it works as possible.

So, Thank you again for the post and if someone needs the BIOS versions sometime just say it! It's a pain to get a hold of them.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.