Random & Brief PC Lag/Freezing

So for a while now, I have been having problems in applications such as games and in web browsers where what I am doing seemingly freezes for around a second before rapidly catching up.

For example, it did it as I was wiring this very message. I typed in ar then everything seemingly stopped doing anything. After about a second, ound then appeared on the screen in a sort of delay. The blinking cursor to denote where I am typing also continued to blink like I was not typing at all, until the freeze stopped and the delated text was entered. 

If I am playing a video game, say Overwatch. I will be running down a hallway when everything seems to lock up for a second. Once it unlocks, I find myself further along said hallway like the game had continued to act on the instruction I gave it until the freeze stopped. What doesn't happen is I come back and find that I have not moved (unless I stopped giving instructions to move).

I have had this issue for quite some time now. It is an issue that has carried over to my new PC which is completely new parts. The only two components that have come from the old machine are the SSD and the HDD. It is also worth mentioning that the PC doesn't freeze indefinitely either. It happens for but a second and then resumes normal functionality. No restart is required as nothing has crashed. 

The PC is a brand new build with a fresh copy of windows on the SSD. The HDD was also wiped and everything reinstalled fresh onto the new computer.

I have tried looking online for a solution, but everything I seem to find comes back to fixing full-on crashes.

Edit: I posted this late at night local time. If I do not respond right away, I am likely asleep. Though your quick feedback is appreciated nonetheless. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Try a "clean boot" and see if it makes a difference:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If a clean boot does resolve the issue there is a section in the article "How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot".

Reset the computer to start normally afterward.

As a general precaution create a System Restore Point prior to initiating a clean boot.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you. I will try this now. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome, and good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Try a "clean boot" and see if it makes a difference:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If a clean boot does resolve the issue there is a section in the article "How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot".

Reset the computer to start normally afterward.

As a general precaution create a System Restore Point prior to initiating a clean boot.

From what I have observed, since I have shut down my computer yesterday, things seem to be much better today. Though I have done little on the PC so far other than run Chrome and look at webpages. I expect the issue will come back at some point. When it was happening yesterday, the PC had been running for much longer as it was end of the day.

That being said, if I perform the clean boot, I am unsure if this will reflect the problem being solved or if it just went away temporarily on the fresh boot of the machine. 

I shall try what you have suggested regardless, but given the persistence of this problem across two different PCs now, it is going to ve tricky to know if it has gone. 

Given what I have said, another solution could be to just reboot every so often also. But this is a brand new and expensive machine and I don't want to have to do that. Especially as it was a problem I was hoping to leave behind on the old machine when I upgraded. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should not have to reboot every so often.

If you want can you provide the following information which may help determine any issue(s):

Windows Key + R > type msinfo32 in the "Open" box > OK > File > Save > then save as an .nfo file

Then make the resulting .nfo file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

Also, can you do the following:

Windows Key + R > type eventvwr in the "Open" box > OK > expand "Custom Views" and then right-click "Administrative Events" > select "Save all events in Custom View As" and save as an .evtx file

Then make the resulting .evtx file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

Here's a link on using OneDrive:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much again for your assistance. Here is a google drive link of the two documents you have requested. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JiNOJ6qZg1_b8ih9Gbzv2P91YpgtXySa

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I might suggest to temporarily uninstall AVG and Malwarebytes and use Windows built-in antivirus and firewall. and see if stability improves.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I might suggest to temporarily uninstall AVG and Malwarebytes and use Windows built-in antivirus and firewall. and see if stability improves.

I shall give that a try and report my observations by the end of the day today or the start of the day tomorrow. (GMT)

Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After leaving the PC since my last message, and with some use (I also restarted the machine once the software was gone), it seems the issue still stands.

As it remains the same as what it was on the old PC and no software fault can be identified, I am leading towards the deduction that it is something wrong with one of the drives.

Most of my programs are installed on the 2TB HDD. These suffer some of the freezes. I thought perhaps the drive was faulty. However, I also get the problem on Chrome, the browser which is installed on the SSD. I also did a CHKDSK on the HDD and it didn't report any problems. 

Perhaps it is something wrong with the SSD. It is using the same cable as it was from the old machine and is what the operating system is stored on. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 25, 2020 Views 100 Applies to: