Possible fix for computer always crashing?

Ive had my computer for several years and its always randomly decided to freeze up at any point. The screen locks up, the sound stops and I have to turn on and off the power to get back into it. It does it at any point. Its most common while playing games but also happens while on youtube, while working or right on launch. Its been going on for a few years and ive changed the graphics card the processor and the motherboard and it still happens. I tried launching my computer in safe mode today with network accessibility and played for hours on a game that always makes it crash so I no longer think its a hardware issue but a software one so im thinking about resetting it completely and wiping everything on it and starting from scratch but I dont want to go through the hassle if I dont have to so I need suggestions
Hi,
My name is Mohammed Shuaib, an Independent Advisor and I'm here to assist you with the issue system freezing. I suggest you follow the below to fix the issue.

Fix #1
Step 1:
Go to the search box next to the windows icon and type "Power & sleep settings"

Step 2:
Click on "Choose what the power buttons do" option

Step 3:
Now click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

Step 4:
Disable Turn off fast startup (recommended), Sleep, and Hibernate options. Click on the Save changes button.

Fix #2:
Step 1:
Go to the search box next to the windows icon and type "Edit Power plan"

Step 2:

Click on Change Advanced Power Settings

Step 3:
Expand Sleep & then expand Sleep after setting the value to 0 (Zero) or Never.

Step 4:
Click Apply and then press OK.

Step 5:
Click Save Changes if appears & then Restart PC

Let me know the status after performing the above.

Regards
Shuaib
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did what you said last night and it went all day without crashing until about 5 minutes ago. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd suggest opening an administrative command prompt and first try running the command "sfc /scannow" to attempt to repair any system files that are corrupted. If that fails or finds no violations, try running the command "DSIM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to attempt to repair your Windows image.
If both of those fail to resolve the problem then you should create a Windows installation flash drive (instructions here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ) and run the file "setup.exe" that will be created on the flash drive, and then go through the process of "updating" windows 10. This method is special, however, as it actually replaces the integral Windows services, meaning that if a Windows service is corrupted, this can resolve it. If the problem STILL persists, then I'd suggest backing up your data and doing a clean install of Windows. If even it still persists, It is most likely a hardware issue, and I'd guess it's probably the power supply (based on the fact that it mostly happens when you are doing tasks that pull significantly more power).
Read any command's documentation so you know what you're getting yourself into. When searching for commands limit your google searches by adding "site:docs.microsoft.com" before your search terms.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The sfc /scannow command freezes up my computer but the dsim /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command goes through to 100%. I havent tried the windows flash drive or anything past it yet, just dont know if the sfs command not working is significant 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The sfc /scannow command freezes up my computer but the dsim /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command goes through to 100%. I havent tried the windows flash drive or anything past it yet, just dont know if the sfs command not working is significant 

i have a similar problem to the crashes, have you checked if you can run stuff with the task manager open, so you can see when any stat spikes at the moment of the crash...

im 95% sure that it's my cpu, as when the sayd usage goes from 85%+ it's sure to crash, if it's only 85% and it stays low after that my pc would keep going, but if it just keeps going up then it would automatically restart.
now im going to run the sfc /scannow to check if it crashes for me

update: i went to take a shower with the scan on, it seems my pc is still on, maybe there was a crash halfway through but there is no way to know for me, still, the scan went thru all the way and there was nothing detected...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its a sign that there may be a larger fault in the operating system than we know if its hanging. I'd suggest backing up your data and then having diagnostics ran on your hardware to verify that it isn't failing. If it isnt then I'd suggest continuing to try to fix the operating system by upgrading from the flash drive.
Read any command's documentation so you know what you're getting yourself into. When searching for commands limit your google searches by adding "site:docs.microsoft.com" before your search terms.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Elijah,
I'm Independent Advisor not Microsoft employee or support person. But I'm in contact with Windows developers since 1995 - as a one of the best Windows beta-testers till 2009 when program was closed, as an MVP in 2005-2017 including Windows System & Performance nomination. So I have deep enough Windows knowledge and you may trust me. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you.

Is you PC crashing or hanging? If it crashes, please share memory dump to OneDrive for analysis.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

If PC hangs please try driver verifier. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/244617...
Run verifier /all command, reboot PC and use it as usual. If blue screen happens please share memory dumps to OneDrive for analysis.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 383 Applies to: