Performance issues with Microsoft account on Windows 10 Laptop.

Old title: MS account issues

Hello I wonder if anyone has any ideas on a really annoying problem. We have a laptop and desktop in our family. Both win 10 and family accounts setup with myself as head of family/admin. The setup is identical for both our machines. On our desktop everything is fine. But the laptop has a real weird issue. Every 24 hours on all (verified) user accounts we have major issues using any MS account related stuff. Logging in is quick but if we go to Cortana interests show as unavailable, ms store is very slow to load, settings - family account will show red text and unavailable right now, using IE11 or edge to login to outlook.com can take ages just to look at email, films and tv app reports can't sign in etc. And it has this problem for all of us, as if this ms stuff does not think we are connected to the Internet - but we are and in this time we can use the various browsers and happily use internet just fine unless it relates to an ms login! It's real frustrating but if I leave the laptop alone anywhere from 10-30 minutes the problem will go away and all will be fine until another 24 hours pass and it happens again. It makes me wonder if some background reconciliation happens with MS every 24 hours and I am hitting real lousy server at MS. I am at a total loss as to why this is happening and as mentioned our desktop exhibits no such issue. Both machines have very similar software on them (if anything the desktop has more such as games etc).

the issue is worst for our son who has to wait a long time for IE or edge to become useable for any site. Presumably as family tracking is trying to kick in and the browsers cannot reach MS server easily. He has to use Mozilla which functions fine whilst he waits!

i have deleted the user accounts and recreated them several times but this issue persists so it shows the user accounts themselves are not corrupted

it seems to me the MS servers my laptop is locked into are just plain unreliable 

cheers

wayne 

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2020 Views 1,839 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

1. When exactly this problem started?
  2. Did you made any recent changes to your Laptop? Installing any Software?
  3. Is your device up to date with Windows 10 version and Updates? Press Windows logo key + R to open run command, type Winver and hit Enter key. Now check the version and build.

Press Windows Key + R to open run command. Type ms-settings: and hit Enter key. If it brings Settings out, then navigate to Update & Security/> Windows Update and check for any available updates. If you want to confirm that any windows Update caused this issue, then on Windows Update window click Advanced options /> View your update history, there you can find all installed updates along with the date of installation. Now see and let us know if any windows update installed on particular point of time when the problem started.

I suspect some changes to your PC made this to happen. It's not obvious what exactly causing the issue. But most of the problems in windows 10 arises with the incompatible drivers or applications. Suggest you to check and install all latest drivers for Windows 10 from Manufacturer's website. If your PC is running with any third party Antivirus software, then try to disable it for a moment and restart your PC to see if that is the cause.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it for any purpose, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If problem still persist, follow below mentioned troubleshooting steps and check if they helps.

Method 1:

Try to perform a Clean Boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program. Follow the below mentioned steps to perform Clean Boot:

a. Press Windows Key, type msconfig in the search box, and hit Enter.

b. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.

c. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

d. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

e. Close Task Manager.

f. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

If a service is causing issue, I suggest you turn on 5 services at a time, reboot and then see if the problem reappears, keep repeating this until you find a group of 5 services, which are causing this issue, then check the one by one, till you find the one which is causing your issue. Perform the same divide and apply for Startup's too.

Refer the below article on "How to Perform Clean Boot". As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching step for 'System Configuration', options and steps to Clean Boot are same for Windows 10.

Note: After you finish troubleshooting, refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same article.

Method 2:

Use the DISM tool and System File Checker for repairing any missing or corrupted system files, in case they are causing any issue.

1. Click Start.

2. Type cmd, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to open elevated command prompt (I.e. Command prompt with admin rights).

3. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.

4. Type or copy paste the below command lines one by one into it and hit Enter key:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Sfc /scannow

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter. Reboot your system to see if problem still occurs.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I will try some of the steps you suggested. But this problem was there from day 1. The laptop is only three weeks old and these problems were apparent immediately although I'd say things have gotten a bit worse. The system is fully upto date and I do not use a third part AV, I use Windows defender. This is why I think my laptop is locked into a real lousy and unreliable MS server. My location is Romford, Essex (UK). Are there are known server issues for users around the region - whilst our desktop does not have the same issues I am well aware two machines even in the same location can latch onto different servers - I am inclined to think the problem exists on MS end. I think MS should check this out. Especially considering all other non MS account related internet activity zips along on the laptop.

thanks, Wayne

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok this is very frustrating. I stripped back all the services and we are still having the troubles all described in the original post. I would respectfully request Microsoft checks the health of all its servers that service the RM3 Romford area of the U.K. 

many thanks,

Wayne

Sorry this didn't help.

I am pretty tired of the MS Server issues continuing to plague. I stripped back all the services and we are still having the troubles all described in the original post. It's not 24 hours apart as I possibly thought, the delays are intermittent and can come anytime. There are clearly issues with MS servers and possibly also severe congestion. All the accounts are successfully verified and the computer shows under devices if logged into each account within a browser. There is nothing wrong with them other than the fact they are frequently waiting for the MS servers on the laptop when using account dependant apps such as store, films and tv, weather, photos, outlook.com in IE 11 and edge, Cortana interests, news etc etc. Non ms account related traffic is never affected and always fine. Anywhere between 10-40 mins after initial login to the laptop and it seems the MS servers finally wake up and everything starts working but the problem will always come back anywhere from a few hours to a day later. Once again I respectfully request Microsoft checks the health of all its servers that service the RM3 Romford area

i re iterate that there are no other issues. Internet performance is fast for ALL other sites/software. It's just MS account related stuff.

Sorry this didn't help.

Please do me the courtesy of a response. The MS servers seem to be somewhat shambolic. I've made a reasonable request here. I have had all the same issues this evening. It's taken over twenty mins just for the store to load and Cortana interests to come up among other things. This is not a good reflection on Microsoft to allow sub standard server service. 

Once things finally spring to life everything will be good and zip along. And maintain its good performance even through reboots but I can guarantee the issue will return in a few hours. It's really not acceptable.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Yashwanth, surely this all points to server issues

at MS. I can reach no other reasonable explanation, please can this be looked at

regards, Wayne

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Scott,

We understand that this might be causing inconvenience for you.

From the description, I suspect that the issue might be with the infected system files causing this behavior. Suggest you to check this issue by performing a repair in-place upgrade. A repair In-place upgrade will repair operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications. Most probably this will fix the issue, in case problem is appearing due to corrupted system files.

We recommend you to take a Backup of personal and important files to avoid unwanted situations.

How to: perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file

Note: If you’ve already successful activated Windows 10 on this PC, including if you upgraded by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer you won't need to enter a Windows 10 product key. You can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will automatically activate later.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Yashwanth,

The system functions fine. I truly believe lousy MS server performance is to blame. Have checks been undertaken on this front yet? This evening I turned on the laptop and logged in approx 9 pm uk time. I am still waiting thirty minutes later for the ms account related functions to kick into life properly. Cortana says interests are not available, windows store still cycling on checking for updates, family settings in red and unavailable, films and tv cannot sign in message. It's ludicrous.

in the end it took 40 minutes for the MS servers to spring into life. What is happening every day (mostly evening)? The laptop obviously needs to reconcile with MS on a daily basis and is left continually waiting.

there is nothing wrong with the system. All the apps open just fine so there is no corruption. It's just signing in which is problematic. There is no issue with my router or ISP. All non ms account related traffic works brilliantly on the laptop. So it shows that the problem likely stops with Microsoft and what appear to be either no responses or very slow responses from the MS server that my laptop seems to be locked into/calling upon

Many thanks,

Wayne

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, this really needs addressing, I am convinced ms servers are too blame. The same symptoms all persist even after the latest cumulative updates. Virtually all non MS services stripped back (I check what services are running via task scheduler and there are no services stuck or running other than the usual MS ones) whilst we are suffering the delays. Sfc /scannow also reports a clean bill of health. I don't believe a repair install will help at all as the same problem will continued if it is MS server related. That will be a long waste of time I have not really got to spare.

everything seems to be a bit of a mess for MS related Internet traffic, for example we have another laptop running Windows 7 and since patch Tuesday it is stuck on checking for updates for hours and hours. This is a side note to the main issue but shows all is not well with the MS servers - of that I am convinced. You are making the MS accounts unusable by refusing to investigate what I believe are either severely overloaded or 'sick' servers. It's not as if the MS related data doesn't work but it is incredibly slow. Loading store, cortana to show interests, apps to login that are linked to an ms account ie, photos, groove, films and tv. It is intermittent but does happen with great regularity and when it happens can take anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes for everything to login or cortana to finally show interests. Even logging into our ms accounts in edge or IE11 can take ages to load, but edge and IE11 run perfect for everything else. And for our poor son using a child account both IE and edge are unusable as they take minutes to become active, presumably as the tracking of his internet activity is linked to ms account related login, therefore it stumbles. He can use Mozilla as a workaround but that's beside the point 

The experience is pushing our family towards dumping Microsoft products and levitating towards rival competitors. Windows 10 has been a real dissapointment to our family. I want to give it a chance but you can understand my frustration at an issue that has gone on for weeks, especially as it seems MS servers are to blame. Just for the record speedtest.net on all browsers and all user accounts on the laptop is 56 m/bits sec down and 13 mbit/sec upload so there is no router or ISP problem. The problem lies squarely with Microsoft end. MS is pushing hard to get Windows 10 onto people's machines but how can MS expect it to become accepted and popular with issues like this. The OS is getting a bit of a bad rap and I am thinking it's not without foundation. The potential is there and aesthetically it looks nice but the most important thing should be functionality and to be able to use it as intended. Something which is not happening for our family.

Also for the record my login used on here to report in this thread is NOT my main MS account which I use as head of family for the laptop. I want to stress this to avoid confusion. Not that I think it's relevant but I will be happy to share my and my family ms account email / login ID details if required. But as I've mentioned a few times I don't think this is of relevance because I believe we are looking at MS server issues. Maybe a senior engineer can offer to remote into the laptop as this will confirm everything I am telling you

Thanks, Wayne

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Scott,

We completely understand your concern in this regard.

But I really don't think the problem is appearing with Microsoft Servers. I agree you will experience some issues with updates, when there is huge load or traffic on Microsoft Servers, but not for long time. I suspect the issue might be happening due to problem with the System files. I appreciate if you could check this issue by performing a repair in-place update.  A repair In-place upgrade will repair operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications.

Let us know how it went.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.