Microsoft Task View/Timeline Cards flicker (for 1-2 seconds) on the desktop before stabilizing when opened from task bar

Hello everyone!

I am brand new here and, unfortunately, not very good with computers.  I've looked everywhere I know for a solution.  This is my last stop before returning my laptop.  Hopefully, one of you masters can help.  

I just received my new laptop a few days ago.  It has been working great until yesterday.  Yesterday, a problem first appeared with Microsoft Task View/Timeline.  When I go to the task bar to click the "Task View" icon, the Task View/Timeline Cards flash for 1- 2 seconds on the desktop before visually stabilizing on the screen.  The application seems to work fine but the flashing is quite annoying, distracting and maybe bad for my eyes.  I like this Task View/Timeline feature and would like to use it ...but not if it looks like this. I'm also concerned this is an indicator of more problems to come later. 

The problem went away for a minute when I went into System Configuration > Services and unchecked the boxes for "Windows Error Reporting" and "Problems Report and Solutions."  Apparently this was the fix for a screen flashing problem many Windows users experienced in 2015.  This fixed the problem for 1 - 2 minutes.  Then the flashing returned.  

Here are the other things I have tried:

1.  Uninstall the Display Adapter - Intel(R) UHD Graphics 

2.  sfc scan (with assistance from MS Customer Support)

3.  Reset My PC (When asked, I opted to "Keep My Files")

4.  Uninstall the Display Adapter (again)

5.  Uninstall bloatware

6.  MS Customer Support remotely look at my laptop.  He could not find anything wrong. 

7.  Uncheck those 2 boxes in System Configuration > Services

A.  Should I do the Samsung Recovery Factory Reset?  (Is that different from "Reset My PC"?)

B.  Could this be related to one of the drivers?  Before I Reset My PC, I tried to connect new laptop to 2 older monitors (unsuccessfully).  If it might be related to drivers, how do I find these hidden drivers and display adapters after I Reset My PC? 

I have searched the web, reddit, Youtube and now I am here.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thank you so much.  

Hi SamanthaVeda and thanks for reaching out. My name is Joseph. I'm an independent advisor. I'll be happy to help you out today.

I would suggest you refer to the below options and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Option 1. Have you tried disabling and re-enabling Windows 10 Timeline?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/101852-enab...

Option 2. Perform a clean boot in Windows.

Summary

A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. This is similar to starting Windows in Safe Mode but provides you more control over which services and programs run at startup to help you isolate the cause of a problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/929135...

Option 3. Do a repair install of Windows 10 with an in-place upgrade.

Summary

If your Windows 10 installation is demonstrating unusual behavior such as built-in apps not working or launching, you can perform a repair upgrade to fix the problem. A repair upgrade is a process of installing Windows 10 over the existing installation of Windows 10 on your hard disk, using Windows 10 installation media. Performing this can repair broken operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings, and installed applications.

You may try following these steps. Check this video tutorial for detailed instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l06XupVqH74

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes.

Thank you!

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 24, 2023 Views 183 Applies to: