Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry, what is it and why is it spiking my CPU usage up?

Any idea what this is for? I have searched the web but all I get it spyware sites wanting to sell they spyware blockers.

I saw one site that said it was some kind of windows process that's "needed" for updates, but I have been running windows 10 for a coupla of years now, getting updates without issues, and have NEVER had this kind of problem before.

For the first 15 to 20 minutes every day when I start my PC Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry spikes my CPU usage up to about 50%!! Then after a but it drops off.  Is this new?? Because this has never happened before.

I run NOD32 and Malwarebytes resident and they show nothing in any scans.

any ideas?  Can I get rid of it??

PS: I searched the community here but came up with a bunch of useless info.

EVGA Z270 Classified K ; i7 7700k ; 16gig Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 ; EVGA 1080GTX SC ACX ; Creative Zx ; Hauppauge WinTV HVR 2250 ; 9 SATA HDD's ;EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 ; Windows 10 pro

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2019 Views 47,077 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It tracks usage patterns on your PC so yes it may spike your CPU for short times while it is analyzing and then sending the reports back to Microsoft.

No, you can't get rid of it as it is baked into Windows 10.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is it new or has been changed recently? I have never noticed it being this aggressive before?

thanks for the reply by the way.

EVGA Z270 Classified K ; i7 7700k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 ; EVGA 2080 RTX ; Creative Zx ; Hauppauge WinTV HVR 2250 ; 9 SATA HDD's ;EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 ; Windows 10 pro

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe all versions since XP have had telemetry, though, as you've seen in 10 it can use your CPU a lot while it is running. There's not a lot you can do about it.

There are settings in the All Settings, Privacy, and Feedback & Diagnostics where you can reduce the amount of sharing it does which may (or may not) decrease its use.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Well that sucks, when I got home from work tonight and started up my PC it just ran my CPU to the point of my PC becoming sluggish for 20 mins.....that is just obnoxious.  

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to cut out some of that "sharing" and see what happens.

EVGA Z270 Classified K ; i7 7700k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 ; EVGA 2080 RTX ; Creative Zx ; Hauppauge WinTV HVR 2250 ; 9 SATA HDD's ;EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 ; Windows 10 pro

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Ron,

We have noticed that your post has been idle for quite some time now. We just want to check on things and confirm if you're still experiencing the issue. If so, we'll gladly provide assistance in any way we can.

Regards.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I still get it at pretty much every cold boot, but it seems to have eased up a bit??

Not sure why.

My question is pretty much answered though, I have been doing some reading and there is a way to deactivate it but, I'll just let it ride for awhile and see what happens. IF it gets worse I'll be sure and let you know. 

thanks for checking on me.

Rob

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

This doesn't run everyday on my machines... Normally only once...

It may run again if there is a major update that is being installed...

I was able to disable mine. but I won't post that unless you need it in the future...

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Ya see that's what I was trying to say in my first post, this should not be doing this at EVERY cold boot?? I have 15 computers at work that I maintain and we use them EVERY day, most have winds 10 some windows 7, and NONE of them do this.

I was starting to just ignore it BUT It just did it again tonight when I came home from work,  I started up my rig and MCT ran my CPU at about 20 to 40% for the first 15 minutes my system was on!!

I knew this wasn't normal, I have had windows Vista, windows 7, windows 8, 8.1 and now 10 and THIS has never happened before just starting about a month ago.

I'd like to know exactly what the hell is this taking from my PC??

I may have to give MS a call!!

PS: I do have my MS account (and Cortana) tied to my phone and set to download any pictures I take on my phone to my OneDrive and then sync it to my PC and that picture folder is getting kind of full, maybe this is it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I don't know what it is collecting, but I have a tool that displays internet traffic near my Taskbar that is always visible..

When the MCT is running there is no uploading of data happening like you would see with a Error Report, but it could be doing so when it is not as noticeable..

Sorry this didn't help.

This is what I see at almost every cold boot for about the last month, actually I don't know when it exactly started, but sometime in Jan 2018:

It does this for/from about 10 to 15 to 20 mins max, does this look normal?

·

Sorry this didn't help.