Kernel power 41 (63)

For the past month or so my computer has been crashing randomly multiple times during the day, I checked the event logs and found that the error was "kernel power 41 (63). I've tried replacing my power supply, getting a better power supply, reinstalling windows, removing drivers, booting in safe mode, unplugging and plugging back all of the cords in my computer, memory tests, GPU/CPU stress tests, and yet still I've made no progress whatsoever. There's also no dump files or any information on what caused the crash, not even during the one BSOD I had with the same error code. This is really bugging me as I've spent over $800 on this system only to have it be useless to me. Please help.
|

Hi,

Kernel Power 41 or Event ID: 41 happens when your PC shuts down unexpectedly. This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware, but it is not limited to that. To troubleshoot your issue with unexpected shut downs, kindly check these things:

1. Overclocking:
    • Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.
  2. Check the memory:
    • Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
  3. Power supply:
    • Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently. If you are using a desktop, using a power supply with an 80 plus rating.
  4. Overheating:
    • Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware. If you are using a desktop, add fans and do a clean cable management to optimize the airflow inside your system.
  5. Defaults:
    • Reset the system back to the system defaults to see whether the issues occur when the system is running in its default configuration.

Do reach us out if you need further assistance.

Regards.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

8 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ive run stress tests using “furmark 3D” and the GPU ran at 70 degrees celcius perfectly fine, same goes with the CPU but at around 50. My CPU and graphics card also have no overclocking whatsoever. The pc runs on a 650 80+ silver watt power supply which should be more than enough for my Ryzen 1200 and gtx 1060. I also reset the CMOS and booted into safe mode and it still crashes. One thing to note is that during some of the errors in the event logs it lists that there was a power issue with the CPU cores.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the information. By analyzing your concern, one of your hardware is having some power issues or has some loose connections. Since you've already tried using memory diagnostics, changing your power supply,removing/reconnecting power connections, and the Event log gives no DMP files, it is possible that the 24-pin motherboard power connection or the CPU power (8-pin power connection on your motherboard) has some issues with it. Kindly take your PC to the store where you've bought it and have it checked. You could also ask replacements from them. Also, upon the issuance of the hardware replacements, we recommend doing a test on the shop itself to prevent this kind of issue from recurring and to prevent further inconvenience.

Should you have more concerns or questions to ask, feel free to post.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Hans,

Since you have re-installed Windows that means it has to be hardware. If not the power supply then suspect the GPU and motherboard. This could even be a device on the motherboard such as audio/sound, Wi-Fi, or USB that only causes a fault when heavily used either due to a driver or hardware issue.

Keep in mind that such a problem can be caused by heat even if that is not registering at an excessive level. i.e. A single component such as a resistor, capacitor, or diode could be too sensitive to even the normal levels or heat. And such can even fault during cool down.

Programs and games can also cause such as error - check with their makers' support and forums for known issues.

1. Over-Clocking -> best to reset ALL to the defaults especially while troubleshooting

2. Memory (check thoroughly as indicated below).

3. Power Supply - I see you replaced yours however please check the specs below just in case.

4. Over-heating - even if the overall temps are with-in specs a single component can be too sensitive to even the normal levels of heat and fault at a lower temp. Try adding a fan blowing into the case to reduce the effects of heat even more than the cooler usually does. Of course ensure all built-in fans are running.

====================================================

After checking determining the wattage of the power supply you will then need to check the requirements of the motherboard and devices. Usually, the video card is one of the major power users.

How do I determine how big my power supply is?
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000800.htm

Other good sources of information are the device makers' sites and their forums.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Power Supply Calculator
http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

Choosing the right power supply for your computer
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/588-choosing-the-right-power-supply-for-your-computer

How Do I Test the Power Supply in My Computer?
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/f/powersupplytest.htm

====================================================

Memory tests do not catch all errors such as mismatched memory (possible even
for sticks that appear to be identical) and when faster memory is placed in system
behind slower memory. So it is best to also swap sticks in and out to check for
those even if all memory tests fail to show a problem.

To test RAM check here - let it run 4+ hours or so.  <-- best method
www.memtest.org

MemTestX86 - Test RAM With
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14201-memtest86-test-ram.html

For the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

Type in Cortana's search box ->  Windows Memory Diagnostics 
at top of list - click it. in Windows 8/8.1/10 the name is "Windows Memory
Diagnostic".

Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Rob Brown - past Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider MVP 2016 - 2021
Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2009 - 2020

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2021 Views 11,305 Applies to: