kb3124263 security update on Windows 10 pc

kb3124263.  I also have had a problem installing the referenced patch.  It disables Start.  Banishes Cortana.  And removes everything from the tray.  MS Office apps no longer appear anywhere.

I right clicked start and went to updates.  I selected kb3124263 and deinstalled it.  Restarted.  Suddenly everything was back to normal functioning the way it apparently should be.

The automatic scheduler has the update scheduled again.  Has anyone come up with a proactive fix rather than a reactive deinstall?

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me assist you.

In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. In rare cases, a specific driver or update might temporarily cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

You cannot block Windows updates on Windows 10, but they can be temporarily blocked. Refer the below article for steps to temporarily block an Update.  

How to block automatic reinstall of a driver or update from Windows Update

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/how-to-block-automatic-reinstall-of-a-driver-or/bff07224-4ce2-4b42-ab29-68c3a305d730

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Not helpful. The problem is that the patch listed is causing many users significant problems. Temporarily postponing updates is not a fix for the patch. Search for this patch and see how many others are having similar problems and worse. The patch needs to be pulled and fixed. KB3124263

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 14, 2018 Views 165 Applies to: