How to fix 100% disk usage in window 10

when i open android studio my  laptop slow down and show 98% disk usage in task manager. Please  tell me the solution of this problem . 

Regards

Jamshedsalik

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers]

Hi,

You have the down arrow (for highest to lowest usage in descending order) set in the CPU column, set it in the Disk column instead to see the same. Switch to the Performance tab and click on the Disk row and then you can see the write and read rates individually.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-use-task-managers-processes-tab-to-troubleshoot-issues-in-windows-10/

To dig deeper you can use the resource monitor.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/use-resource-monitor-windows-10

Have you checked with Android Studio support?

Hope this helps.

-Richard

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Jamshedsalik,

Some software may require high-end specifications in order to function properly. If the high disk usage issue only occurs when running Android Studio, there might be a misconfiguration with the app that needs correction. That being said, it would be great if you can tell us more about your concern.

• Are you getting any error messages?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
  • Have you tried removing and installing back the software?
  • What is the OS Build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the Start button, type About your PC, press Enter, and then scroll down to Windows specifications.

In the meantime, we recommend performing a clean boot to verify if the high disk usage issue is due to a software conflict. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when running a program in Windows 10. Follow the steps from this support article on how to perform a clean boot.

NOTE: Please go to the section: Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the PC in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Please respond back with the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not only in case of android studio. but most of the time Disk is full. I restart my laptop and check . Again disk is full. Please tell me possible solution. 

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is not showing that the disk is full, it is showing that the read/write activity to be high. In the case of 100% the disk is at the highest (fastest) that it is able to perform the read/write processes being required of it, in other words, the greater amount of data that needs to write to and/or read from the physical HDD the higher the disk usage will be for a longer period of time. This is why many people these days chose to upgrade to SSD's (solid state drives) as they can transfer data at much higher speeds than an HDD can do to the fact that a SSD has no moving parts at all.

That being said, the question here is, is the program that you are using that data intensive that this could be considered normal or is there a software/driver/process conflict causing the same function to repeat over and over again trying to complete it successfully and it cannot. That is were the diagnostics come in. Now, often this can be caused by outdated software products (or 3rd party drivers) that need to be updated to a newer version. If said products are no longer being supported however this is not possible, in this case the thing to try would be to attempt to run the program in compatibility mode.

-Richard

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft does not have a true fix for this.  I work for a small medical clinic and I have run into this on several computers and rarely is there a real solution.  I am convinced that after trying everything on each of the 6 out of 15 computers in the building that the only thing that truly works is switching to another OS.  Every computer I have band aid fixed, still has the problem intermittently. Following each step of each fix out there is a time consuming mess. The only computer that doesn't have the issue anymore is the one I finally loaded the latest Ubuntu Linux build on.  Still have everything I need on that computer without slowness, it actually seems faster than regular Windows 10 Pro.  Don't believe the "Solved" threads on this issue and watch out for the advertising solutions of downloading drivers, this issue has no real fix, and instead of Microsoft fixing the issue with a patch/update, they just take our money and give us a band aid for our troubles. Pretty poor consumer relations on an issue that has been around for several years. 

125 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can say this - I only see this on my laptop, I thought I fixed it initially after reading an article that if I put the laptop into conservative CPU usage, it will cause this.  But I'm not 100% sure if that was the cause - because recently it's back.  The main time I see it happening is when Chrome is open.   I wonder if it's due to some rogue JS o a webpage, possibly even a crypto coin miner - even though I do run an extension that's supposed to block those.   My Norton picks up some JS at times from unsuspecting web pages that wants to run a Bitcoin or Monero coin miner.

So far today, when I closed out of Chrome and moved to Microsoft Edge,  it has not gone back to 100% usage.    The machine comes to a crawl when that happens.  I'd think 'virtual memory' also might be a culprit, but I don't see the system maxing out on RAM by process list.  Which lends back to the theory it might be some rogue JS that's doing something so expensive in memory?  it's forcing virtual disk usage.

Hope that helps anyone in trying to understand what causes this.  It is tricky to track down.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tim,

Thanks for bring this up with much details. Before we proceed, please read this note:

Note: The method to fix the issue will have Registry modification. Before you modify the Registry, make sure to back it up and understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. Please refer to this link: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

To start, the 100% disk usage was a known issue way back the previous builds of Windows 10. Try to keep your System updated. Another option is to try the fix that was released by Microsoft Engineers some time ago:

-Task Manager might show 100% disk utilization on Windows 10 devices with Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode enabled.

There will be a case wherein the MSISupported value would be missing under the registry. Please follow the step-by-step guide provided here: 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10: The "MessageSignaledInterruptProperties" is missing from the registry.

Should there be updates, please feel free to chime back.

Cheers.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 32,480 Applies to: