How do we stop the Photos app from running as a background process and consuming a lot of memory?

In Task Manager I find Photos running as a background process, consuming over 250 MB of system memory on all my Windows 10 PCs.  Why?  How do we get it to stop?

Opening and then closing Photos ends the process, but returns as a background process a little while later.  I'm tired of having to keep going into Task Manger and clicking End Task.  And even then, it sometimes returns at a later time.

Prior to updating to Version 1709 it was only Photos.  Now it's Photos and Runtime Broker.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2018 Views 23,553 Applies to:
Answer

We understand that not all of users are using the Photos app on Windows 10, if not very often. If you don't want this app to be running on background when not in use, there is a way you can turn this off. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

1. In Cortana, type Privacy Settings and press Enter.
  2. Look for Background apps.
  3. Look for Photos in the list.
  4. Flip the switch to Off.
  5. Restart your computer.

After you restart your computer, you can check if the Photos app is still running in background. You can use these steps to turn off any running background applications as it is not limited to Photos app alone. In this way, you can conserve a lot of power and process allowance.

Kindly let us know if this helped you resolve your concern. If not, feel free to post back so we can help you further.

194 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.