How do I permanantly disable BITS (Background Intelligent Trasfer Service)?

This horrible program keeps maxing out my Disk at 100% and it is instantly fixed when I disable it in the Local Services control panel. However it keeps re-enabling/restarting itself and I have to disable again, often 2 to 3 times daily! How can I either get it to stop restarting or permanantly disable it. Tyty, npnp.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2020 Views 18,846 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Background Intelligence Transfer Service is one of the crucial services to download Windows Updates. Disabling this service will interrupt Windows Updates installation which is not recommended. There is no permanent way to disable BITS. However, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it reduces CPU utilization.

Method 1: Install all the latest Windows Updates.

1. Press Windows key and click on Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates.

2. Now, click on Check for Updates and install all the latest updates available.

Method 2: Try Clean Boot

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.

To disable all non-Microsoft services refer the article called Clean Boot.

Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

(Steps for Windows 8.1 are also applicable for Windows 10 for the above link)

Note:After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

If you still wish to disable BITS service, follow the steps however, it may not be permanent.

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type services.msc and click Enter.

3. Locate Background Intelligence Transfer Service and double-click on it.

4. Click on Stop.

5. In the drop down menu next to Startup type label, select Disabled.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario    

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.